Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
jnoback

Vehicle: 1991, Ford, Mustang GT convertable
Default 1991 Mustang Convertible Top won't go down

I have a 1991 5.0 Convertible Mustang and the top won't go down. When you push the button, it doesn't do anything. There is no noise of a motor running or anything else, only silence. I tried replacing the fuse and that didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Mustang.jpg
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
jnoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

I would go to the back and find the motor that operates the top and confirm that it is getting power when the switch is pressed. If it is getting power back there then chances are the motor is no good. If you get no power to the motor then the relay is probly not any good or you have a bad ground . Im not a vert guy but I have messed with some different models , they usually use an electric motor running a hydraulic pump. Ive seen the lines crack and loose all the fluid out of the pump then the motor turns but the top does nothing and some of the motors are so quiet you can only tell there running if you have someone hit the switch while your back at the motor listening.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
BabyGT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 3.9 Vert & 1994 5.0 Vert
X757XVeritas

Emergency brake has to be up for the top to operate.

04 3.9l Convertible- Daily driver
94 5.0l Convertible- Work in progress
92 5.0l Hatchback- Another work in progress
BabyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
dwb91lx
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1991 Ford Mustang LX 'vertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGT View Post
Emergency brake has to be up for the top to operate.
That's not true on mine (the E-brake)... My top will sometimes glitch when I stop it greater than or less than 1/2 way (when I'm tucking material or avoiding the scissor action on the material)....The trick that usually works is to manually lift the top while operating the switch...kinda like push starting. Avoid letting the frame settle (on it's own). If I need to stop it midway, it is always best to stop it straight up...or give it a helping hand to avoid the settling. It's happened plenty of times (10+) & I've always gotten it to work...knock on wood.
dwb91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

ive never had to manually do anything with my top...in fact the fox mustang was praised at the time for having a top that was as fast or faster than a benz vert when it came out...like said above you need to see if you are getting power...it might just be a bad top if it was running and not moving anything i would say its low on Auto trans fluid in the top motor.
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1971, Ford, Mustang Spring Sport Coupe

No juice to your top motor is my guess. Or the motor itself is bad, like others are saying just get a tester and test the lines going to it. I would check CL for the motor, they get pricey IIRC.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
dwb91lx
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1991 Ford Mustang LX 'vertible

always try the easy effort stuff first, motor diagnosis takes more effort & tear down...you'll want to remove back seat & trunk interior trim to get a good look @ the motor for fluid, relay checks, etc.
dwb91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig71springsport View Post
No juice to your top motor is my guess. Or the motor itself is bad, like others are saying just get a tester and test the lines going to it. I would check CL for the motor, they get pricey IIRC.

iirc the top motor is the same from 1965-2004 so they are pretty easy to find. ive seen fox vert 4 cylinder cars for 400$ could always buy one of those and get the top motor and sell the hull for scrap=free top motor and any other parts switches, wiring etc you need
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 5.0 HP LX 7 UP Edition and 2013 Premium Convertible
Send a message via AIM to 7 UP Mustang Send a message via Yahoo to 7 UP Mustang

MY 1990 LX has two relays, and one went out. The easy thing to do is to swap the relays around since they are plug in types. One is used for UP and one is used for DOWN. In my case a new relay fixed my problem. Good luck!

1990 LX 5.0 HP Convertible Known as 7 UP Edition

2013 GB Premium Convertible V6 Auto with performance package.
7 UP Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Yep - check relays first, then pull back seat and see if you're getting juice to the motor when the switch is activated. Hoping it's just a bad relay. Good luck and post back when you find out what the issue was, as it may prove helpful to someone else who is experiencing the same issue.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement