5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hood Flew Open...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

Default Hood Flew Open...

Never thought this would happen to me, but it did... freakin' SUX! learn from me kids, GET HOOD PINS!! Usual damage to cowl panel - crushed like a sardine can... anyone have luck bending this piece back into shape? Wiper linkage is bent up (can this be straightened out?), and therefore the wipers won't work... will I need new hood hinges too? Car got towed to a body shop by insurance company (I have full collateral coverage). Body shop called and said they can't write the estimate and can't fix it cause parts aren't available (true - a cowl panel needs to be cut out of a donor car)... I'm thinking of getting the money directly from the insurance company and taking care of this myself. Would prefer to bend it back, as opposed to ripping out the windshield, removing a million spot welds, etc., etc. SO, my question stands... anyone have luck bending it back? If so, techniques used? Any long-term side effects? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

lol.. good luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Oh that sucks... If it were mine, I'd ship it to the body shop and take my lumps.

I have a truck I smashed up sitting in my garage with the same thoughts that you're having... Its been there for 3 years...

Was it an aftermarket hood or did your stock hood latch give up?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the fix is a new cowl but you can straighten it out... the body shop or you can use this http://www.eastwood.com/stud-welder-...ng-system.html grind paint off, weld stud use slide hammer on stud to pull metal back out grind pin off wipe with filler and prime paint etc...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxwelhse
Oh that sucks... If it were mine, I'd ship it to the body shop and take my lumps.

I have a truck I smashed up sitting in my garage with the same thoughts that you're having... Its been there for 3 years...

Was it an aftermarket hood or did your stock hood latch give up?
After market hood - Cervinis mach 1. Not sure what happened... I pulled the car on ramps in my driveway, changed the oil, shut the hood while it was still on the ramps... perhaps because of the angle it didn't shut right(?) who knows... scary when it blew open as I was getting on the highway... luckily I was able to pull over by sticking my head out the window.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
the fix is a new cowl but you can straighten it out... the body shop or you can use this http://www.eastwood.com/stud-welder-...ng-system.html grind paint off, weld stud use slide hammer on stud to pull metal back out grind pin off wipe with filler and prime paint etc...
Thanks, man... I'll check it out.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Again, that sucks, and I'm glad it went safely...

That said, my stock hood is STAYING!

If you decide that you want full cowl replacement, a local junkyard here is stocked deep with Foxes (Typically).. The owner of the yard has about 6 of his own, so he likes to keep some "inventory" around. They might ship one to you.. Mills Auto Parts, Fort Wayne, IN. (They ARE NOT cheap though, and their yard monkeys are kinda d**ks...)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

Again, that sucks, and I'm glad it went safely...

That said, my stock hood is STAYING!

If you decide that you want full cowl replacement, a local junkyard here is stocked deep with Foxes (Typically).. The owner of the yard has about 6 of his own, so he likes to keep some "inventory" around. They might ship one to you.. Mills Auto Parts, Fort Wayne, IN. (They ARE NOT cheap though, and their yard monkeys are kinda d**ks...)
Thanks, I might have to go that route... I see the cowl panels on ebay too, $150 all the way to $400.... hoping to bend it back though.... we'll see!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

No harm in trying!

I'd like to remove my cowl just to sand and paint in there... I see some surface rust starting and I don't care for that at all!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 AM
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

No harm in trying!

I'd like to remove my cowl just to sand and paint in there... I see some surface rust starting and I don't care for that at all!
yeah, no harm trying to bend it back... can always cut out the old and weld in a new one if worse comes to worst. I am looking into a paintless dent repair place now... insurance estimate is coming in this morning... can't wait to see what they're gonna offer to fix it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Flew Open...