5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Pressure Drop under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 PM
rfugate2002

Unhappy Fuel Pressure Drop under acceleration

Hey guys new to the forums. Always just read threads never posted one. I did a search and i read the normal bad fp, or regulator. But everything is brand new.Anyways Have a 89 mustang that sat for about 12 years and just now getting to work on it. So I bought a fuel pump from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-70152/overview/
and ran 10an from the tank to a filter then from there i ran 6an all the way to the front. Where i use a processional products fuel rail and regulator. And then 6an return.

Well it seemed after driving around for a bit my fuel pressure was dropping to the point of the engine stumbling. So I contacted summit and the sent me a new pump.. Same thing, so i thought it might have been the pickup used in the tank. It was an aluminum tubing thing with a 10an out 6an in I bought from i believe holcomb many years ago. Well i was told from a friend that he ran one before and his car ran lean. Fuel pump was crazy noisy so i was'nt worried at all with going back to a in tank fuel pump.

So i bought a fuel pump off ebay along with the fuel pump cage and the AN fitting adapters. (Had I known about the adapters i would never have gone the other way) Now the fuel pump i bought off ebay is a no name brand 340 lph, And i have the same problem if not worse. Now everything is brand new so this has me stumped.

I thought the regulator may have been bad so i pulled the vacuum line off. And tried to drive the car that way thinking my vacuum was some how cause the regulator to drop the fuel pressure. Still nothing. Took the regulator apart (not knowing what to look for tbh, just looking for bad o-rings and such.) Btw brand new fuel filter as well. Sorry for making my first post so long.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Ok it said under acceleration . Is that when it does it or does it all the time. does it with a full tank of gas or just when it is low? Hot out side or cold out?
If it is doing under acceleration only I would say it is a baffle in the tank that is broke and letting the fuel get away from the pick up if it does it all of the time after you run it for a while I would be checking for a voltage drop to the pump.
I run a much heavier feed from the battery to my fuel pump and just trigger the pump on with the stock wires off a heavy relay . You could also be over heating the fuel.
What is your build that you need all of this pump? I really doubt it was the pick up you had in there I run the same pick up with no issues at all.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
rfugate2002

Ok problem solved. So when you buy a new fuel pump it comes with a new rubber hose to connect the fuel pump to the housing.. Well the hose is straight so when you try to bend it in the S shape to connect to both ends, if its a cheap one is puts a kink where each bend is. Im sure it didn't put the kinks in it when I installed the new pump because im **** about those things. Thanks for the reply uedlose and everyone who read my story.