5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 stang wont start with key

Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

Default 89 stang wont start with key

Working on a friends 89 mustang. was a 4cly stick car. is now a 5.0 auto car. Still has the clutch pedal and neutral safety switch.
When you turn on the key everything works as normal except when i try to start it nothing happens.(doesnt roll over)
I changed the ignition switch, bypassed the neutral safety switch and when i jump the starter solenoid the car fires right up.
Anyone have any other ideas i could try?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

Well the ignition obviously works but is not shooting power to the starter. :-) check the wiring from the starter and make sure its all connected all the way up. You will find the issue around there if I were to take a guess but it only makes sense that everything is working and its not turning the starter/engine cause its getting no power. Grounds n powa!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

You changed out the tumbler or the switch located under the dash? There is a plastic actuator that runs from the tumbler to the switch inside fhe steering column that could also be broken. Your problem is most likely in the steering coloum.g
Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

update. i ran a wire from the solinoid power wire (red with blue stripe)to the battery positive and the starter cranks over. Also when i test light the neutral safety switch connector that has the red with blue stripe wires going into it, at key in start position one side of the connector has power and ones does not. But when i put a jumper in niether one of them shows power.
And why does everyone say the neutral safety switch has 2 wires? I look under the the dash and see the neutral saftey and it has a white connector with 4 wires and a black connector with three red with blue stripe wires.

Last edited by GTnotchback; 05-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
You changed out the tumbler or the switch located under the dash? There is a plastic actuator that runs from the tumbler to the switch inside fhe steering column that could also be broken. Your problem is most likely in the steering coloum.g

+1 its a common fox problem the tumbler with they key is not the ignition switch
Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

so you guys think i should replce this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-i...lock-8393.html
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
+1 its a common fox problem the tumbler with they key is not the ignition switch
yes i undeerstand this. I replce the ignition switch already.( the rectangular part that all the wires plug into.)
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

When you turn the key to start do you have power to the little wire on the starter solenoid on the fender? Is so your switch and column parts are fine. Same with neutral switch. Be just a bad solenoid then.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
When you turn the key to start do you have power to the little wire on the starter solenoid on the fender? Is so your switch and column parts are fine. Same with neutral switch. Be just a bad solenoid then.
has 93 style starter. no silenoid on the fender. Just has silenoid on the mini starter.
the red with blue stripe wire that goes down to the starter silenoid does not have power when key turned to start. that is the problem.
But if i touch a wire to battery positive and that wire it starts right up.Problem is definatly under dash or in steering column/ neutral safety switch.(which i have bypassed.)

Last edited by GTnotchback; 05-28-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:13 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

when you say neutral safety switch i assume you mean actually on the transmission..but what about the clutch safety switch under the dash i assume its still hooked up or did you install an auto cars jumper plug in the wiring?? if the factory clutch pedal is still hooked up to the wiring it could be the switch on the pedal is out of adjustment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 stang wont start with key