5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Remove air inlet tube???

Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Mark Steele

Default Remove air inlet tube???

Guys, just installed long tube headers in my 92 vert. As I was removing the stock x pipe I found a metal duct welded to the exhaust. The book calls it an air inlet tube. Anybody know what his des and can I delete it?

Also there were 2 sensors on the old manifold. The mee heard doesn't have a slot to connect these two valves. I think they have to do,with efr, but not sure. Can I just start the cr without these connected?

Thanks Guys

Mark
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

its part of the smog pump system..i just welded them closed on my car(do you have to pass smog?) if not id delete
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Mark Steele

OK Great, thank you. All the tubing that this Air inlet pipe is connected to .. what is all this. it's a tube system that is directly in the way of the passenger side header.. I think this is all EGR stuff. Can I just remove all this stuff and then flash the computer?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Thats the AIR system. Smog pump pumps air through those tubes to help burn fuel in the exhaust. You can remove it but its technically not legal to do it. You will not need to flash the computer if you remove it though. The sensors you mentioned in the headers are your o2 sensors. If you are still running EFI then yes you need them so the computer knows how much fuel to give the motor. If not you dont need them.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:56 PM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Speaking off, and not to hijack this thread, but I have an off road H pipe, and the air inlet tube is still hooked up, however I do not have the smog equipment on the car. My question is, I will obviously pinch and weld the air inlet tube on the H pipe off, but leaving it open as it is now in my case, produces an exhaust leak of sorts, right? I think that I've answered my own question but, just wanted to see what others thought, and whether this tube should be welded or capped off if no smog pump equipment is left on the car. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Thats the AIR system. Smog pump pumps air through those tubes to help burn fuel in the exhaust. You can remove it but its technically not legal to do it. You will not need to flash the computer if you remove it though. The sensors you mentioned in the headers are your o2 sensors. If you are still running EFI then yes you need them so the computer knows how much fuel to give the motor. If not you dont need them.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yes, weld or plug it off.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Mark Steele

Default Decel popping

Thanks guys... Ok update here. I got the headers installed and was able to drill the headers and installed brand new o2 sensors nicely. I had removed the air inlet pipe from the valve under the hood and forgot to cap it. Just tonight I drove the car up to the muffler shop about 5 miles away and wow was it loud with open headers, but I also noticed it ran terrible and experienced very loud deceleration Popping. Could the air inlet cause this??? Or was it perhaps since there was no exhaust nor mufflers?
Thx so much
M
Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Loud popping is usually just excessive gas getting into the exhaust.

To remove the emission sys, remove the pump, hoses, plug the two holes in the back of the heads, and cap off the exhaust pipes.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Mark Steele

Default Figured it out... FIRING ORDER

Guys, I just figured out my issue... It was the timing order. I had installed new plugs and wires when I did the headers and I had #2 and #1 reversed. So the Popping and the poor idle were caused by that.. Nothing to do with Air inlet or the Headers... It runs like a kitten now!
But I did just seal off that Air Inlet Valve... Not sure what to do with it...

Also I do now get a check engine light after the car warms up... think this valve is causing that?
Mark
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

need to get the codes read...auto zone etc will scan it for free post the code you get here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove air inlet tube???