5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First Fox, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM
ahead92

Default First Fox, need help

hey guys, new to the site, managed to score this 93 LX today, the outside is in great condition but there are a few things mechanically I want to ask about. I have had several mustangs however this is my first fox. Here is a photo of the car:

Name:  IMG_2572_zpsaffaaf9a.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  65.3 KB

Here are my questions. First of all, someone put in a junk steeda clutch quadrant and a firewall adjuster, which I have a similar setup on my 96 Cobra, however, on the fox the cable rubs and catches the inner wall of the adjuster on the inside of the car making it a real bitch to drive. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any other products that do not bind like so? I will go back stock if I need to.

Also, the car makes a sgueak/squeal/groan under hard acceleration (for the whole duration of the acceleration) in the first few gears and sometimes on hard bumps. Is this a common problem for foxes? does anyone have a clue what it could be? I considered it could be the quad shocks and I pray it isn't the rear gears (4.10's). any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by ahead92
. First of all, someone put in a junk steeda clutch quadrant and a firewall adjuster, which I have a similar setup on my 96 Cobra, however, on the fox the cable rubs and catches the inner wall of the adjuster on the inside of the car making it a real bitch to drive. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any other products that do not bind like so? I will go back stock if I need to.

Also, the car makes a sgueak/squeal/groan under hard acceleration (for the whole duration of the acceleration) in the first few gears and sometimes on hard bumps. Is this a common problem for foxes? does anyone have a clue what it could be? I considered it could be the quad shocks and I pray it isn't the rear gears (4.10's). any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Steeda cables and quadrant are not junk!! They are the only ones I use as I've had nothing but probs from the others....never had a prob with the steeda stuff, I mean never, so don't throw the manufactorer under the bus before you know the issue, sounds like either a misinstall/improper routing of the cable or the wrong cable or someone modified the part, as for squeak under acceleration , check all control arm bolts and bushings.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the site, and congrats on your new ride, looks great.

I've never had a problem with a firewall adjuster rubbing, binding enough to cause a problem. Do you mean the cable is frayed and catching inside the adjuster?

And the squeak, squeal under load is alittle odd for it to last that long. I was gonna suggest bushings in control arms or suspension somewhere. But it sounds like its more mechanical related. Can you tell if its for sure coming from the back off car? U-joints? Wheel bearings? Hard to say without hearing it.

Is "mechanical related" a proper phrase? Doesn't sound right lol.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 06-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

The "sgueak/squeal/groan under hard acceleration" and under bumps would be suspension. FWIW, I've had those squeaks on my vehicles before and 9/10 times, it's suspension related. I wouldn't see why it would be your rear gears.

Nice job scoring a fox with 4.10's already installed.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Oh, I think I've got it. Who installed the gears? If po did it and didn't set them correctly, they will howl . That might be the groan you hear.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahead92
on the fox the cable rubs and catches the inner wall of the adjuster on the inside of the car making it a real bitch to drive. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any other products that do not bind like so? I will go back stock if I need to
Sounds to me like they didn't put the spacers in before putting the quadrant on. On my MM it was 4 thick washers and 2-3 thin ones. My cable doesn't touch at all.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM
ahead92

Originally Posted by mjr46
Steeda cables and quadrant are not junk!! They are the only ones I use as I've had nothing but probs from the others....never had a prob with the steeda stuff, I mean never, so don't throw the manufactorer under the bus before you know the issue, sounds like either a misinstall/improper routing of the cable or the wrong cable or someone modified the part, as for squeak under acceleration , check all control arm bolts and bushings.
I apologize, you are correct I took the Quadrant out and it was a BBK Gripp one. Now that I remember I have a Steeda Quadrant and firewall adjuster in my Cobra and couldn't be happier. Steeda isn't junk! I ordered an SR performance to replace it hoping that will be okay. it looks identical to my Steeda one but about $10 cheaper. and as far as the groan I'm almost certain it isn't gears because the car is silent when cruising at a constant velocity. I'm thinking it's either quad shocks or some kind of bushing back there. when I get it to my garage I will get under it and make sure everything is tight.