5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mystery Water Leak

Old 06-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Doodad13

Default Mystery Water Leak

I need help.....I have a 1989 5.0 LX Sport Convertible that has a leak that has a body shop and windshield shop at a loss. Water....and I mean gallons of water....is leaking into the driver side foot-well. I have had the weatherstripping checked by a body shop, as well as the hood cowl drain cleaned twice...ad I still get gallons of water after a decent rain. Does anyone have a clue what my issues is? Or, does anyone know of a body shop that has rel experience with Fox Body Mustangs? Thx!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

when you spray water with a hose in the cowl area does it come in the car??

what about the bottom of the windshield??

what about windows on the side?? is all the glass adjusted properly?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Doodad13

R65.....thx for the response. I took the car to a highly regarded body shop in the hopes they could resolve the issue. They removed the windshield and drivers side fender and cleaned all the rust, welded in additional metal pieces, and installed a new windshield. The water still comes in....even from a simple driveway washing. I did notice that the pillar post trim piece was not installed correctly, which left the windshield lower trim piece loose and not properly seated......but I think these issues are a red herring. The leak come from nowhere, so something had to fail to cause this......
Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Wayne220

Sit in the drivers seat and let some one spray around the drivers pillar, cowl, windshield and see if you can locate the spot.. If that fails remove the drivers seat and lay in there where you can view up under the dash..

I find it odd body shops etc cant find a leak.. hopefully your not paying them to "look" for it, they could just be ignoring it so you bring it back.

P.S: check the drivers door and mirror area as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:20 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wayne220
Sit in the drivers seat and let some one spray around the drivers pillar, cowl, windshield and see if you can locate the spot.. If that fails remove the drivers seat and lay in there where you can view up under the dash..

I find it odd body shops etc cant find a leak.. hopefully your not paying them to "look" for it, they could just be ignoring it so you bring it back.

P.S: check the drivers door and mirror area as well.
I have to agree with you , pull the drivers seat so you can lay in there and use a flashlight to look up under the dash . I would go so far as to tear the dash and kick panels out to see where its coming in.

If there is that much water coming in you should be able to locate it pretty quick...

I also cant believe a body shop especially a " highly regarded" one could not locate the leak . They basically just racked you for a few hundred bucks to pull things apart and replace the glass.
In other words you paid them to guess.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Doodad13

They charged $200 to troubleshoot.....that included 1.5hrs labor, and the R&R of the front fender. The windshield was broken while at thier shop, so they willingly ate the bill on that. The remaining $500 was to repair major corrosion on the entire windshield frame, re-paint all the windshield trim and cowling cover, new wipers, and re-seat the weatherstripping. In addition, the welded in new pieces of metal that were missing from the factory.....photo evidence of all issues/work was provided. They will correct the trim piece alignment, but may be reticent about going further. Looking for new options if they don't.

Appreciate the suggestions, and was thinking the same thing.....thx
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

are you located around washington d.c??
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Wayne220

Originally Posted by Doodad13
They charged $200 to troubleshoot.....that included 1.5hrs labor, and the R&R of the front fender. The windshield was broken while at thier shop, so they willingly ate the bill on that. The remaining $500 was to repair major corrosion on the entire windshield frame, re-paint all the windshield trim and cowling cover, new wipers, and re-seat the weatherstripping. In addition, the welded in new pieces of metal that were missing from the factory.....photo evidence of all issues/work was provided. They will correct the trim piece alignment, but may be reticent about going further. Looking for new options if they don't.

Appreciate the suggestions, and was thinking the same thing.....thx

Did it leak be for you took it to them like this? Even if it did leak, you paid them to troubleshoot and repair the leak, in which case they failed to do. In either case i would make them fix it for free.. They did all this work and the car still leaks, so clearly they "caused" it or missed something that needed to be addressed in the area's they where working in..

In the end i would keep on it until they willingly correct it.

P.S: If you find the leak in the area they worked on the car, then they have to correct the issue at no cost to you(if indeed a "highly regarded").

Last edited by Wayne220; 09-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Doodad13

Yes I do
Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Doodad13

I brought the vehicle to them because of the leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery Water Leak