MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   seal and piston ring questions (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/697900-seal-and-piston-ring-questions.html)

craig71springsport 07-09-2013 12:14 AM

seal and piston ring questions
 
Looking to twin turbo my 89 lx. Going to keep the engine stock except for the required fuel upgrades, except maybe for a cam. What would you guys suggest for seals and piston rings? Planning on resealing everything, and would like fresh rings just because. Thanks guys

Duncan_GT 07-09-2013 08:49 AM

I run Perfect Circle rings. Some of the best rings on the market. As for seals, cant go wrong w Felpro.

Please please please do your rear main seal and oil pan gasket correctly

dawson1112 07-09-2013 09:15 AM

I have a question about this , and I may show my ignorance here but on a stock 5.0 why would you bother with twin turbo , would not a single turbo suffice in this case.

Is there an advantage to twin turbo on a stock block as apposed to single? Would you not be able to obtain the max boost on a stock block with single set up.
Im not questioning the knowledge you have , as Im not a turbo guy . Purely investigative question.

Duncan_GT 07-09-2013 01:31 PM

Less strain on the turbos, i suppose. One would probably work, less weight and less heat. Twins would get pretty hot I would think

tinman 07-09-2013 09:49 PM

Remember, you are on a stock block......

craig71springsport 07-10-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT (Post 8244958)
I run Perfect Circle rings. Some of the best rings on the market. As for seals, cant go wrong w Felpro.

Please please please do your rear main seal and oil pan gasket correctly

Thanks :-) what do you mean with the rear main and oil pan gaskets?

craig71springsport 07-10-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8244970)
I have a question about this , and I may show my ignorance here but on a stock 5.0 why would you bother with twin turbo , would not a single turbo suffice in this case.

Is there an advantage to twin turbo on a stock block as apposed to single? Would you not be able to obtain the max boost on a stock block with single set up.
Im not questioning the knowledge you have , as Im not a turbo guy . Purely investigative question.

It's just because it's what is available to me. Was going to do a blower but sisters husband decided he wanted to use it after all, and offered the twin turbos to me.

craig71springsport 07-10-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinman (Post 8245404)
Remember, you are on a stock block......

II know. They can handle 5-9 pounds of boost, or at least that's the rumor. I plan to test that. And if it blows up...there's my excuse for an r block build :-P

dawson1112 07-10-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig71springsport (Post 8245597)
II know. They can handle 5-9 pounds of boost, or at least that's the rumor. I plan to test that. And if it blows up...there's my excuse for an r block build :-P

well played sir , well played

Duncan_GT 07-10-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig71springsport (Post 8245592)
Thanks :-) what do you mean with the rear main and oil pan gaskets?

Don't try and install your rear main seal with the #5 cap still on. Not the correct way to do it. For the pan - make sure the gasket is set correctly in the groove on the timing cover and #5 cap. After you get it all put back together, take some black rtv and smooth it over that same area.

Oil leaks suck.

Also be sure you gap your rings correctly. I do 0.020 top ring, 0.024 bottom ring on an N/A set up. You will need to open yours up a little bit due to the boost.

While we're on the topic of oil & rings & boost, may want to look at switching from the factory pcv set up. As your rpm builds, your boost will build, especially with twins. If you opened up your rings as suggested, the boost will create blow by as expected. This will greatly increase crankcase pressure. A lot of turbo guys switch to a breather + catch can set up because the pcv system can't ventilate the crankcase pressure effectively. This pressure has to go somewhere as new pressure from the turbos is getting past the rings. It usually finds its way out via the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, etc.

Theres your circle of life between boost and rings. Lol

dawson1112 07-10-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT (Post 8245627)
Don't try and install your rear main seal with the #5 cap still on. Not the correct way to do it. For the pan - make sure the gasket is set correctly in the groove on the timing cover and #5 cap. After you get it all put back together, take some black rtv and smooth it over that same area.

Oil leaks suck.

Also be sure you gap your rings correctly. I do 0.020 top ring, 0.024 bottom ring on an N/A set up. You will need to open yours up a little bit due to the boost.

While we're on the topic of oil & rings & boost, may want to look at switching from the factory pcv set up. As your rpm builds, your boost will build, especially with twins. If you opened up your rings as suggested, the boost will create blow by as expected. This will greatly increase crankcase pressure. A lot of turbo guys switch to a breather + catch can set up because the pcv system can't ventilate the crankcase pressure effectively. This pressure has to go somewhere as new pressure from the turbos is getting past the rings. It usually finds its way out via the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, etc.

Theres your circle of life between boost and rings. Lol


all very true ,, but from the sounds of it he will be building a 331 R block in no time lmao

craig71springsport 07-10-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8245598)
well played sir , well played

Ty Ty, I thought it out. Girlfriend can't complain that way!

craig71springsport 07-10-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT (Post 8245627)
Don't try and install your rear main seal with the #5 cap still on. Not the correct way to do it. For the pan - make sure the gasket is set correctly in the groove on the timing cover and #5 cap. After you get it all put back together, take some black rtv and smooth it over that same area.

Oil leaks suck.

Also be sure you gap your rings correctly. I do 0.020 top ring, 0.024 bottom ring on an N/A set up. You will need to open yours up a little bit due to the boost.

While we're on the topic of oil & rings & boost, may want to look at switching from the factory pcv set up. As your rpm builds, your boost will build, especially with twins. If you opened up your rings as suggested, the boost will create blow by as expected. This will greatly increase crankcase pressure. A lot of turbo guys switch to a breather + catch can set up because the pcv system can't ventilate the crankcase pressure effectively. This pressure has to go somewhere as new pressure from the turbos is getting past the rings. It usually finds its way out via the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, etc.

Theres your circle of life between boost and rings. Lol

Thank ye kindly sir! Very useful advice.

craig71springsport 07-10-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8245663)
all very true ,, but from the sounds of it he will be building a 331 R block in no time lmao

Aw come on, he who has little faith! Cheer it on, I'll post plenty of videos for everyone.

dawson1112 07-10-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig71springsport (Post 8245685)
Aw come on, he who has little faith! Cheer it on, I'll post plenty of videos for everyone.

Ha ha oh I have faith , faith that when she don't blow at 11 psi youll go to 15 psi .

Id love to see the video of her when the crank snaps lol better than tv.

Duncan_GT 07-10-2013 10:34 AM

You'll see a crack in the main around the main bolt holes, either #1 or #2 from what I've seen. It'll spider up the front of the block. The block literally tries to split itself. Probably scary as hell when it happens, the after math looks pretty cool lol. Lets hope you dont have an expensive bottom end, 'bout the only thing a girdle is good for is keeping it from grenading everywhere

Duncan_GT 07-10-2013 10:36 AM

I was at the track last year and watched an Evo @ 30psi blow a rod cap through his oil pan

dawson1112 07-10-2013 10:39 AM

Id think any where above 9 psi at wot the head bolts would go first , blown head gaskets.

But hey its all good, if it gets you 700hp r block for xmas.

Duncan_GT 07-10-2013 11:23 AM

Lol. I would stud everything. I even studded my oil pan

dawson1112 07-10-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT (Post 8245747)
Lol. I would stud everything. I even studded my oil pan

Haha hey I don't blame you with that 393. Hows that coming along man.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.