Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 92 Mustang LX
Default New 3.73 gears. Heavier clutch set needed?

Hey I'm installing 3.73 gears in my totally stock 5.0 right now. I am also replacing the transmission and clutch set. Someone mentioned to me that with a taller gear, I should also get a slightly heavier pressure plate. But it seems that the price makes a huge jump after OEM.

What should I get? Can I just get OEM or should I spend more. My budget is very low. I was hoping for under 200.

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

I have a stock clutch in my 94 running 3.73 gears clutch is holding up just fine. Im making a bit over stock power, ,

If you have the trans out of it or are going to pull it and do the clutch it makes sense to go to a bit heavier clutch just because after the 3.73 gears are in your probly going to get stricken with the fever for more power. We all do after that initial kick in the but that the gears are gonna give you .
I left mine stock because it was a brand new install before I got the car, but when it is cooked Ill go to something better. King cobra makes a good after market for these and I believe its a pretty good clutch. And can be had for right around 199.00 on ebay. Stage 2 king cobra
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

If you plan on adding more parts (power) later, I would go slightly heavier..

if your staying stock just keep the oem.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
88 orangepeel notch
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 notchback

^^^ Agree, I'm pushing 300 at the wheels and been running the stock replacesment stuff for 5yrs now with no problems. But I'm easy on my clutch except for a few trips to the strip a year.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 07-10-2013 at 10:38 PM.
88 orangepeel notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 GT 5.8

I ran my stock clutch until it was slam burned up and it held great with bolt ons. If youre planning on making bigger numbers soon, then upgrade to kevlar. If you spend the money on organic, youre basically buying an oem clutch.

351W .30 over, 3.73 Posi, Eddy Air Gap intake manifold, BBK shortys, fat cam, antique lifters, greedy carb, junkyard heads, black iron pipe roll cage, skeleton interior, angle iron dashboard
89fiveeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 92 Mustang LX

Okay cool. I already know that I won't be adding much more power in the future. Especially because I will probably be trading for a different foxbody in these next upcoming years. The Internet says good things about the King Cobra clutch Dawson1112 recommended earlier but it will be $130 more than OEM after shipping. So I don't know yet.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

If you don't plan on adding any real power to it just stick with the stock clutch , if installed correctly it will give you years of use and its a pretty good stock set up.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

I was once told putting too heavy a clutch in a non hd tranny can be hard on it....seemed logical to me
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement