5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Misfire from hell

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Danielsmustang
Well now that you mention nuetral saftey, I dont need to step the clutch in to turn on the car. You think I should check there?
That would be a good place to look and that would cause codes that you mention also, If someone wired it to by pass the clutch interlock .
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

I Just checked the fuel pump relay, seemed fine, i didnt exactly check it with power and whatnot, but it didnt seem burnt or anything. The ignition switch seemed fine as well. Nothing looked weird. Im going to check neutral safety switch tonight. If that is fine, time to dig into harness?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

The sensors in my sight seemed fine. had quite a bit of a scare though, when i was about to step into car i see a huge Spider and spider web inside my car. ( I had left my window down since its a garage baby. Not a great way to make me comfortable being under dash lol.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

So, neutral safety switch seemed fine. Cant seem to find anything. My friend suggested I ground the sensors to the battery. The tps, ect and act. What do you guys think?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

misplaced......

Last edited by akdoggie; 08-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:21 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Danielsmustang
So, neutral safety switch seemed fine. Cant seem to find anything. My friend suggested I ground the sensors to the battery. The tps, ect and act. What do you guys think?

I have heard of pple doing this , and it working .
Did you ever try a different distributor yet though?
Im not ruling out my original theory of the pip.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

No i haven't replaced Distributor. I just took out the computer, and saw that it had 2 little battery looking things burnt. I have it at a computer shop and they are checking it out. You consider the dizzys from auto zone? They are like 60 bucks. i just dont know if its steel or the other one.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

HO rollers are steel gears.

I would bet the computer is your problem those 2 little battery looking things are probly resistors.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

So, I took they said i had three circuits open. they fixed it. Charged me $125. Not sure if that was a good deal or rip off. So i installed computer again, and had the same issue. So i finnaly got around to checking the engine ground, and it was nasty. My water pump gasket is bad, I have been lazy to change it, so it was very grimey down there and there was not a good ground connection. So i cleaned it up real good. Put it back on and drove it for a little bit and man did she drive good. She still had a misfire but not nearly as bad as before. So, i got home and i got a crazy idea. YOu guys tell me how good or bad it was. I had cut the SIGNRTN wire from the house looking thing to see if the connecter was messed up or just the wire. So it didnt work. So i decided to ground that wire to the battery terminal. When i turned on the car, idle was a bit lower and misfire returned. So separated it. As i was driving small misfire returned, but didnt drive it long enough to see if it cleared up. Out of curiosity, do you guys think if something there is causing a short, it might have messed up the computer again?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Update : I checked for voltage in the SIGNRTN line. While cranking the car it went to 4.99v. So I'm guessing there is an open circuit there? Odd thing is that I can't do the EEC I've test using that ground. What do you guys think

Quick Reply: Misfire from hell