5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog pump delete kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM
stangrookie302
1st Gear Member

Default Smog pump delete kit

I was wondering if I was going to get the smog pump delete kit, what else do I need to do? What do I do with the midpipe hole that the pump pipe connected to? Will this affect my carbon box operation? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

There is no need to get the delete kit a shorter belt works just fine.

When I did mine I disconnected every thing from the smog pump, plugged every thing that needed plugged. I left it on the car with the original belt drove to autozone , removed old belt and went in and took out about 3 different sizes till I found one that fit . Drove home and took the pump off. Autozone is pretty good about letting you try belts as long as you don't run them. I couldn't tell you the belt size because I was doing the ac delete at the same time.

I should add that the tube going to the back of the heads either needs removed and the hole capped , or the tube needs plugged up. You can use a bolt that will thread into that tube as well then weld it . There is a way to cap the holes on the heads using the right size short bolts but I have no idea what size they are.

That mid pipe tube is there only to send some 02 into the cats to aid in heating them up when you first start the engine. I have seen some guys cut it off and leave about 6 inches and use a pipe wrench on it to twist it up and kink it , but I found the best way to do it if its on the car is cut it off as close as you can to the pipe and put a bolt in and weld it.

When I did my off road h I used a big 2 lb sledge flattend it out welded it shut.

No removing that has no effect on the carbon box , that is only for collecting exess fumes from the fuel tank and burning them later through the intake .
Youll need to plug the vacuum lines that go to the diverter valves .

Last edited by dawson1112; 07-24-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

The tube going to the catalytic converters does the opposite of what you have said. It actually takes exhaust gas and pumps it into the intake. Hence the name Exhaust Gas Recirculation(EGR). It's for reducing emissions by reducing combustion chamber temperatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
The tube going to the catalytic converters does the opposite of what you have said. It actually takes exhaust gas and pumps it into the intake. Hence the name Exhaust Gas Recirculation(EGR). It's for reducing emissions by reducing combustion chamber temperatures.

Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He is talking about the smog stuff , that's completely different from the egr stuff/ The smog pump has a tube going to the mid pipe to pump air to the cats to help heat them up during a cold start.

egr take exhaust gas directly from the exhaust header/manifold and dumps it back into the intake via the egr valve.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no exhaust feeds coming out of the stock headers. I think they added that in 94? The only place for exhaust to feed the EGR is the mid-pipe tube.

Last edited by Tony71502; 07-25-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You are probly right about the exhaust header/manifold. I think on the earlier years the exhaust gas is pulled internally from the heads and circulates through a hole in the center of the upper/lower intakes. Then is sent to the egr spacer where it is metered by the the cross over in the egr valve, this is why I believe the egr spacer had cooling lines running to it.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Here is a early 5.0 stock upper intake showing the internal egr port.
The red arrow I placed points to it. I believe this intake was a 93.
correction this was probly earlier than 93 pre maf.

Name:  Stock2520Upper2520Hoses_zps553ae695.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  69.9 KB

Last edited by dawson1112; 07-25-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM
stangrookie302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Here is a early 5.0 stock upper intake showing the internal egr port.
The red arrow I placed points to it. I believe this intake was a 93.
correction this was probly earlier than 93 pre maf.

That looks like my 93 upper intake. I have a 88 that I'm curious about. I was told that the tube going to my mid pipe is from my smog pump. The pipe that connects to my mid pipe keeps popping off because the clamp is ****ed up. Two, when I accelerate when the pipe is off it sounds like an exhaust leak but very minor, but I can still hear it. I live in CA so I need to be able to put the pump back on.

The EGR stuff sounds legit when and if it comes through my intake but I don't know about the 88 model.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM
stangrookie302
1st Gear Member

Also, the pipe that is connected to my mid pipe is connected to a check valve that is also in connection to my air bypass and air divert valve. At the air divert valve, there are two lines with two check valves. The upper line, solid, goes to the heads of the 5-8 cylinder side, and the lower line, solid as well, goes to my mid pipe. Beyond the air divert is one line going to the air bypass valve then into my smog pump. The air divert and air bypass both have vacuum lines going to the tree. There is a egr delete kit but I'm sure there is more surgery that I have to perform so that my car runs "properly". All in all screw Ca.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangrookie302
That looks like my 93 upper intake. I have a 88 that I'm curious about. I was told that the tube going to my mid pipe is from my smog pump. The pipe that connects to my mid pipe keeps popping off because the clamp is ****ed up. Two, when I accelerate when the pipe is off it sounds like an exhaust leak but very minor, but I can still hear it. I live in CA so I need to be able to put the pump back on.

The EGR stuff sounds legit when and if it comes through my intake but I don't know about the 88 model.
Well if you live in cali I think they will do a visual inspection of the smog equipment , Im not to sure about that.

Yes that pipe going to your mid pipe is to the smog pump.

As far as I know the 88 intake is identical to the 93. I was just illustrating where the egr takes is exhaust gas from in the earlier years.

So do you want to remove the smog pump all together ?
If you are fairly sure they wont do a visual inspection of all emissions equipment plug the tubes/vacuum lines and get a shorter belt. Im pretty sure these cars will pass a sniff test without the smog pump as long as the engine is good and warmed up and is running legit as far as air/fuel mix is concerned.

If you would just like to fix the smog tube going to your mid pipe you could possibly find a cable clamp of some sort to clamp it on or have someone tack it with a welder.

Quick Reply: Smog pump delete kit