5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Richer than Richie Rich

Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Default Richer than Richie Rich

Folks:

My car is running super rich ever since I put on Edelbrock heads, an E cam, a cobra intake, and some headers. The stock cats were gutted a little later, but it was alreads super rich. Fuel, is almost dripping out of the exhaust. The check engine light has been on ever since and the car is getting 9mpg. I'm running 24lb injectors and Mass Air.

Here's what is going on:

1. The AFR is super high at idle at ~50. It plains off at around 3K RPM.
2. The check engine light has been on since the work. I have confirmed that the O2's are hooked up.
3. I had 30lb injectors in it and went to 24's with a matching Mass Air
4. The timing is setup to 10 advanced and max 25.
5. The fuel pressure is sitting at 40lbs. I don't have an adjustable on in there but I'm thinking I'm ok at 40lbs.

Questions:
1. Should I bring this to a tuner and get the computer "flashed" to match? I don't think that the tuners will have enough to work with on a 90 mustang. Am I wrong??
2. Should I pick up a bama 4 bank?
3. Any other parts I should try?

Ok, that's all I can think of. Any help would be surely appreciated.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

If the MA is matched to the injectors, it should not run rich like you are describing. You could tune around it, but it would be better to the MA and injectors first. What codes are you getting?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

I just had a "running rich" issue, I amy or may not have solved it with a MAF cleaning...I wont consider it fixed until a full tank of gas goes through without issue. if the car is not tuned I believe you could have these issue.. does the car idle on its own?

what codes are the engine light for
Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Thanks all... the cars idle is fine. It had a 30 lb mass with 30 lb injectors and I bumped the setup down to 24lb / 24 lb (all are brand new)

I am not sure what the code is, but will look up how to check. I"m assuming O2.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by reldla1996
If the MA is matched to the injectors, it should not run rich like you are describing. You could tune around it, but it would be better to the MA and injectors first. What codes are you getting?
you don't tune around a problem that is not tune related......the root problem needs to be corrected.............What I want to know is how is the Op determining the car is rich??? if gas were dripping fron the pipes car would be blowing severe black smoke.......OP are you using your nose as a diagnostic tool... ?? lol or do you have an actual wideband on it to verify issue???
Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you don't tune around a problem that is not tune related......the root problem needs to be corrected.............What I want to know is how is the Op determining the car is rich??? if gas were dripping fron the pipes car would be blowing severe black smoke.......OP are you using your nose as a diagnostic tool... ?? lol or do you have an actual wideband on it to verify issue???
LOL... I user a wideband in the tailpipe to get the rich reading. My nose is also telling me as well as the 9mpg. I have also seen black smoke coming out of the tailpipe on hard acceleration.

Do tuners reprogram the computers to match new injectors/maf sizes? There just seems to be a mismatch somewhere.

A thought.. I can also throw the 19 lb injectors back in. I just have to get a big enough MAF that is programmed for 19 lbs. The stock one is a bit small for the throttle body.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mebirkle
LOL... I user a wideband in the tailpipe to get the rich reading. My nose is also telling me as well as the 9mpg. I have also seen black smoke coming out of the tailpipe on hard acceleration.

Do tuners reprogram the computers to match new injectors/maf sizes? There just seems to be a mismatch somewhere.

A thought.. I can also throw the 19 lb injectors back in. I just have to get a big enough MAF that is programmed for 19 lbs. The stock one is a bit small for the throttle body.
don't need a tune to match inj's vs maf, the "calibrated mafs" get it close to where it should not be doing what you say it is doing........have you run a koeo/koer test and done a fuel pressure leak down test?? checked canister vent valve to make sure it's not stuck open and constantly purging fuel vapors into the intake??? also make sure you don't have a vaccum line going to the Bap sensor
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

I will check the CDs to see if they shed some light. I have the same question. Can a tuner red lash a stock ECU to line it up with the mass air and injectors? I just think its confused

Maybe I am just being naive.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
don't need a tune to match inj's vs maf, the "calibrated mafs" get it close to where it should not be doing what you say it is doing........have you run a koeo/koer test and done a fuel pressure leak down test?? checked canister vent valve to make sure it's not stuck open and constantly purging fuel vapors into the intake??? also make sure you don't have a vaccum line going to the Bap sensor
Hi mjr46..

Here is what I have found out so far.

The canister only has the line running from the fuel tank. The other line is missing. I have a cobra intake and I believe the other line goes to the upper intake. I don't see any place for it to go unless there is a line in the wrong spot on the intake. Can I just block off the line from the fuel tank to the canister? I have been told they don't do much, but I don't want to be ignorant.

No vacuum line on BAP.. Nice thought though. It seems hooked up correctly.

Here are the results for the KOEO

51 - ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts.
34 - PFE or EVP circuit above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.

In Memory codes:
66 - PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed above the maximum limit of 4.81 volts
96 - Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit.
35 - PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed above the maximum limit of 4.81 volts.
51 - ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts.

I got the strangest readings from the KOER. it told me that I have a 10 cylinder and it had thrown crazy codes. I wasn't sure how to hook up the wires as there were inconsistencies in the direction from multiple sites. One said to just ground the once connector to the battery. The other said to jump the connector to the triangular plug and run an output wire from the triangular plug to the positive terminal with the test light.

Most of the codes are pointing to the ECT, PFE, and EVP (whatever those are).

So... Any clue on my official diagnostics brain dump???

Thanks so much!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

IF your ect is above the 4.6 volts that's telling me that its telling the ecu that the engine coolant temp is some place in the -4 to -40 degrees range. This will cause it to run very rich.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Richer than Richie Rich