5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Project

Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

Default Project

I've been trying for several years to build a Fox from pretty much the ground up but something always seems to stop me. I'm in the military so it's usually either a deployment or in this case right now I live in the UK. Just for the sake of conversation (bored at work on a Saturday) I have a few questions anyway.

My plan is to buy a 1990-1993 T5 in fair condition for around $4k and do a complete overhaul. I want the engine, trans, and rear end professionally built. I've researched some speed shops but it's hard to do when you have no idea where you're going to live next. I'm going to start with everything under the hood and work my way back. This is probably where I'm going to need the most input. I know way more about the LT/LS engines than the 5.0 so I'm not sure what I'm going to need for my 350-375RWHP goal. I don't want nitrous but I'm not completely against FI. Ideally I'd like it NA but If it's going to break the bank then I'll just toss a blower on it. What type of build should I look at doing? Stroker? Skip the 302 and go 351?

After the drive train is finished I'd like to work on the suspension and brakes. A 5 lug conversion of coarse too. I've talked to a few of the sponsors on here and I don't think I'll have a problem getting help picking what will work best for me. I plan on doing most of the suspension work with a few friends and a few cases of beer. I really like beer.

I'm sure you've all see the 5.0 restoration websites out there. The interior will be last and will be 100 refurbished to new. I'll do all this work myself too. I DO NOT WANT RED...

I plan on the whole project taking about 3-5 years to complete with a price tag of about $15,000 total. I don't want to sell the car...I want to keep it and drive it. So basically my question is this. If this was a project that you were going to start how would you do it? I'd love to get started while I'm in Europe but it's not easy. I could find an engine on eBay and have it delivered to a speed shop for the build I guess? I'm not sure if that’s a smart move or not....any suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 AM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

I forgot about the paint....It will get a fresh paint job too. I'll put it back to factory so I have to like the origional color of the car too.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 AM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

It would be easy to meet your power goals with a stroker or a 351.I wouldn't buy an engine on ebay to build, but rather buy a short or long block from one of many choices, e.g. CHP or fordstrokers. You really need to buy the car first, and the condition of the car will determine the order of what you do. It's best to buy one in better condition to start with, to minimize some of the work and expense.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

Youre probably right. Ive just been saving for so long to start that I'm getting anxious. I have some friends that would probably help me out with picking out a decent fox and storing it for me but I hate to ask for such a big favor. My mom or younger would be happy to do it for me but they live up north and I want a car from the south. I guess I'll have to just be patient.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Not to play the devil's advocate here... but UPR makes a nice LS-conversion kit for Foxes. Since you're already familiar with those engines, and they're cheap reliable horsepower.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I feel sick
Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

Ditto!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Any Chevy/LS conversion is pure gayness..........
Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
deputycrawford

Like the OP I know much more about the LSX engine family and would really like to do a conversion, BUT, I already have a YYY roller short block sitting in my garage so I will probably do a 347 kit with the 5.315 rods to keep the lower ring land out of the wrist pin. I should have plenty of power to keep me happy.

Spend the most money you can on the initial vehicle. Starting with the best shape vehicle will keep you from spending tons to get it back in shape.

Jerry
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by deputycrawford
Spend the most money you can on the initial vehicle. Starting with the best shape vehicle will keep you from spending tons to get it back in shape.

Jerry
That's my M.O. as well. My street/strip Fox has 48k original miles. I can't do bodywork, so I buy the cleanest car I can afford before I start a project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project