5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 head swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM
BIGTY2009

Default 302 head swap questions

Hey all,
I have a couple questions regarding head swapping and forgive me if there is already a thread started related to mine as I searched and couldnt find anything exactly. I have a 331 stroker motor and I feel I could create alot more power out of the build if I gave it some more air. I feel with my current heads I am suffacating it. I have a high lift cam (unknown specs, the previous owner included it in the buy) Keith Black pistons, ported and polished e7's (ported to the max but still iron heads) edelbrock rpm performer intake, and a 650 edelbrock carb. I feel like if I picked up a set of afr 185's, a victor jr, and a 750 carb I would be putting down alot more power. I guess my questions are; what all is involved in swapping out the heads? Im very handy with cars and repairing things in general but this will be my first time cracking open an engine block by myself. I currently have the carb and intake manifold pulled off but am waiting to recieve some new valve covers before I go any further. Is there anything with a head swap that I should be aware of and look out for? do's and dont's? maybe event a little step by step swap guide would be nice. Also, I heard the afr's are good to go out of the box and that I shouldnt port them do to the unique design from afr. Would I, or should I, port match the intake though? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

My advise is get a set of 185s, AFRs are good, BUT get a custom grind cam from FTI. Give them the current bottom end setup and the heads you want and let them do the rest. As far as removing the heads, do what I do, start removing things until they come out, that's the beauty of foxes.

Last edited by darkmach1; 08-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Strokednforged

Thumbs up Head swap

Originally Posted by BIGTY2009
Hey all,
I have a couple questions regarding head swapping and forgive me if there is already a thread started related to mine as I searched and couldnt find anything exactly. I have a 331 stroker motor and I feel I could create alot more power out of the build if I gave it some more air. I feel with my current heads I am suffacating it. I have a high lift cam (unknown specs, the previous owner included it in the buy) Keith Black pistons, ported and polished e7's (ported to the max but still iron heads) edelbrock rpm performer intake, and a 650 edelbrock carb. I feel like if I picked up a set of afr 185's, a victor jr, and a 750 carb I would be putting down alot more power. I guess my questions are; what all is involved in swapping out the heads? Im very handy with cars and repairing things in general but this will be my first time cracking open an engine block by myself. I currently have the carb and intake manifold pulled off but am waiting to recieve some new valve covers before I go any further. Is there anything with a head swap that I should be aware of and look out for? do's and dont's? maybe event a little step by step swap guide would be nice. Also, I heard the afr's are good to go out of the box and that I shouldnt port them do to the unique design from afr. Would I, or should I, port match the intake though? Thanks in advance.

I would consider either the afr's the trick flow turbo swirl, or if u want the next big thing from what I'm hearing go with a set of John kasse p38 heads!!! (NOT SURE IF THEY'RE AVAIL YET BUT EASILY CHECK HIS SIGHT AT JOHN KASSE.COM) these heads e supposed to rival all other heads to date? There is a piston or rocker requirement and u must use his valve covers which r very classy n polished aluminum or a bed liner type finish r the 2 options i know of. but well worth the ho etc. his sight has a whole write up, test results on a bone yard 302 with minimum header and cam requirements etc there test motor with his heads was somewhere around 500hp pretty sweet considering thats with middle of the rd headers, cam n carb. imagine all the extra bolt ons n the hp that would come with it :-) then maybe a supercharger? I have trick flows ported polished, a 12lb supercharger N the whole shebang n $ wise not realistic as I am already over 600hp and quite happy!!! Otherwise I'd jump all over a set of John kasse heads!!! Hope yer swap is a success in whatever u decide, please keep us posted especially if u end up with a set of kasse heads!!! Thanks,Frank-strokednfordged
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Strokednforged

Jus realized how old this post was lmfao!!! So how'd yer project work out?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

There is no upper and lower intake on a carb set-up
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Strokednforged

I doubt he worked it out scince 6 pm this after noon lol .

May be you were looking at his join date.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 PM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

If you already have the carb and intake manifold off you're halfway there. Pull your valve covers and remove the 7/16 bolts holding the heads to the block and you're done. If its gonna sit for awhile I'd cover it. I'd cover it as it sits now but that's just me, I'm a clean freak when it comes to me motor. As for your intake manifold I've always been partial to the edelbrock rpm air gap.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I would consider either the afr's the trick flow turbo swirl
LOL what the hell are you talking about??

OP - swapping heads isnt TOO big of a deal. It does involve removal of a lot of parts as someone stated. I would definitely go with a 170-185 head pending what the car will be used for
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
There is no upper and lower intake on a carb set-up
LOL my head completely bypassed the whole carb part. Ill correct my initial post.

Quick Reply: 302 head swap questions