5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Explorer Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM
JJBroc

Default Explorer Intake questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. As mentioned before I am building a Factory Five AC Cobra. It has a 1989 Mustang GT drive train, 5 speed. I bought a lower and upper intake setup off a 2000 Ford Explorer. And I am using the Explorer’s 65mm TB (used the ball off the 58mm Mustang TB) and Explorer’s injectors ( I think they are bigger than the Mustangs and bought the adapters to use the Mustang harness with them) as well.

My questions are:

Can I relocate the ACT sensor to the air intake tube between the TB and the MAF? Has anyone experienced problems doing this?

I do not have the MAF from the Explorer. What should I use with this setup?? Is the Mustangs too small? Should I go to a bone yard and hunt down an Explorer MAF? Or buy aftermarket?

Seeing as the intake is a 2000 I am planning on removing and bypassing the EGR and blocking off the holes with a plate. I have an EGR spacer with the coolant line coming in from the heater tubes. Where should I send the coolant after it leaves the TB???

Thanks for all the help!!!
JJBroc
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by JJBroc
Hi All,

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. As mentioned before I am building a Factory Five AC Cobra. It has a 1989 Mustang GT drive train, 5 speed. I bought a lower and upper intake setup off a 2000 Ford Explorer. And I am using the Explorer’s 65mm TB (used the ball off the 58mm Mustang TB) and Explorer’s injectors ( I think they are bigger than the Mustangs and bought the adapters to use the Mustang harness with them) as well.

My questions are:

Can I relocate the ACT sensor to the air intake tube between the TB and the MAF? Has anyone experienced problems doing this?

I do not have the MAF from the Explorer. What should I use with this setup?? Is the Mustangs too small? Should I go to a bone yard and hunt down an Explorer MAF? Or buy aftermarket?

Seeing as the intake is a 2000 I am planning on removing and bypassing the EGR and blocking off the holes with a plate. I have an EGR spacer with the coolant line coming in from the heater tubes. Where should I send the coolant after it leaves the TB???

Thanks for all the help!!!
JJBroc

Explorer injectors are the same size as mustangs, 19lb. They are just skinnier and have 4 holes instead of 1 to spray gas through. You do not need any adapters for these injectors to work with the mustang harness.

You can relocate the ACT and have no issues.

If you are using a mustang computer, use a mustang MAF...might as well upgrade to a C&L (alot of people do not like them bc the way they trick the computer for different injector sizes but work great if you know what you are doing) or a ProM meter.

You do not have to run the coolant through the EGR spacer if you are not running EGR. You can actually get a delete plate that removes the EGR stuff and is just used as a bracket for the throttle cable. The coolant passage in the rear of the intake can be plugged and the one on the heater core tube can be blocked off as well. YOu can weld it shut and grind it smooth for a clean apearance or you can just use a bolt in a hose or something. I RTVed a set screw in it and capped it off with a black vacuum cap.