Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
musicman8287

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Mustang GT
Default Need Help Installing Dipstick Tube, car has short headers.

Hey everyone!

First off, thanks for all the help in these forums. Searching and reading helped me to remove a broken dipstick tube (flush sheared at block) with the "thread bolt, and hammer out with flat head screwdriver up against bolt head bottom" trick. BTW, if you are ever in this situation and using a standard floor jack, a roofing hammer won't cut it... gotta get out the big boy, like a 4 lb double face hammer. At least that's what worked for me. Extra weight for the confined space strike.

Now, I rec'd a Ford Racing dipstick tube, as the tube end with double flange seemed to work, based on what remains I pulled out from block last weekend. I tried the $10 Spectre from Auto Zone. Way too wide diameter, and further research revealed it's application being inserted through the timing cover. Older 302 cars I guess?

So what's the best way to do it? I have the driver side header removed, shorty header. Should I put tube in first? Header on first? Also, any need to add sealant to end of tube before installing? Looks like a press fit design, so I don't want to have to attempt this more than once. haha

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
musicman8287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

usually on my 95 I can put it in after the headers are on.. that being said.. I replaced my headers and had fitment issues so I got a braided steel flexible dipstick. it looks great and was much easier to work with over the solid tube stock.

it is a press fit design, shouldn't need anything on it.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
musicman8287

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosepoop302 View Post
usually on my 95 I can put it in after the headers are on.. that being said.. I replaced my headers and had fitment issues so I got a braided steel flexible dipstick. it looks great and was much easier to work with over the solid tube stock.

it is a press fit design, shouldn't need anything on it.
Thanks man! I got it in, after sanding and filing the end down a little. Some research taught me that the chrome plating on tube could be the difference in whether it goes in or not. I tried and tried, would not slide into engine block hole until after I removed the chrome plating from the area right bellow the "block stop" on tube. I had to loosen headers, as the stop would not clear when headers were bolted in. Def a very tight fit, but it's done and I can move on
musicman8287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement