5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

prep work for new hydraulic lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
no, was going off my terrible memory.
so its a hex? ok. i will double check it when the time comes anyway.
thanks again
Not a problem
Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Not a problem
by chance, is there a way i can visually/physically check to make sure the shaft is still in place?
currently the timing cover is off, so i have access into the oil pan kinda.
and the cam is out so i can see inside a little if i stick my head down there.

thing is, when i took the distributor out, it was a real ordeal. loud bang when it popped off. i suspect the bang was from the distributor coming free, but who knows. i dont know how the oil pump shaft is attached to the pump, so i want to check if it is still in place.

if i reach into the pan and the oil pump shaft is vertical, then im good, or could it be vertical and not be in place? (i dont know if the shaft just sits there or if its held down by a clip or anything)

thanks
Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Look down the distributor hole, you should see the shaft. There is a toothed washer on the shaft that prevents it from coming out with the distributor. It also helps in the fact that you can't take the shaft out without taking the pump off. So, your shaft should still be vertical
Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Look down the distributor hole, you should see the shaft. There is a toothed washer on the shaft that prevents it from coming out with the distributor. It also helps in the fact that you can't take the shaft out without taking the pump off. So, your shaft should still be vertical
I checked it
I can see the shaft looking down
since my timing cover is off, I also stuck my hand in
there. shaft seems to be in place. I can move it up and down about 1/4 inch, but I assume that's normal?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
I checked it
I can see the shaft looking down
since my timing cover is off, I also stuck my hand in
there. shaft seems to be in place. I can move it up and down about 1/4 inch, but I assume that's normal?
Yep thats perfect. Its like that to compensate for manufacturing flaws in the shaft/dizzy/oil pump housing
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

so, i spin the oil pump drive shaft, the pump turns, pumps oil through the filter. the oil goes back into the block and into passages? how does it get inside the lifter? how does it get inside the push rod?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Look at your lifters and the lifter bores. There are passages drilled for the oil. When the lifter fills with oil and you are still spinning the oil pump, the only way the oil can go is up through the pushrod, this why the pushrod is hollow.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Look at your lifters and the lifter bores. There are passages drilled for the oil. When the lifter fills with oil and you are still spinning the oil pump, the only way the oil can go is up through the pushrod, this why the pushrod is hollow.
i figured as much, but there doesnt appear to be any openings for the oil to get inside the lifters, so im perplexed
Old 11-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Post a pic. Holes should be on the sides of the lifter
Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

There should be one or two holes on the side of the lifter and another one in the cup at the top of the lifter where the push rod rides. Inside the lifter bore there is an channel that lines up with the whole on the sides of the lifter. The oil goes through the motor and into that channel, into the whole in the side of the lifter, filling the lifter, and then up through the whole in the cup and up through the pushrod. Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: prep work for new hydraulic lifters?