5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

do i need a new distributor??

Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Default do i need a new distributor??

before i tore the engine apart, when the car was running, the car would die every once in a while when it was hot out. i think sometimes when it wasnt even really that hot out. it would cut out and then after 10-20 minutes, it would start back up like nothing ever happened.
i think i read here somebody with similar problems and it was due to some type of component in the distributor (or was it the ignition coil? hmmm) that didnt like the heat. lets say it was due to this distributor component. lets further say you know wtf im talking about. i am going to guess that i wouldnt be able to simply replace the part of the distributor that was failing, right? i would need to replace the whole distributor, yes?

now, i guess i could clean up my old distributor and put it back in and deal with that problem when/if it shows up again. however, the base gasket on the distributor shaft is gone. destroyed. i would need to replace the gasket. i am having trouble finding a replacement though. are these things just not out there?

i was going to simply buy a new distributor until i saw the prices were not cheap, even for remanufactured units. im still not against buying a replacement, i just didnt want to burn cash for no reason.

my goal has shifted from simply just taking the engine apart and putting it back together to wanting it to be a solid dependable ride for my nephew (who wont be driving for a few years anyway)

so, whats my play?
track down a gasket and use the old one?
buy re-furb?
buy new? (if so, which one? please recommend)

feel free to recommend a new ignition coil while youre at it just in case.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Keep your dizzy, replace the …… um… now I can't remember the name of it. It bolts to the side of your distributor, 2 special little bolts that they make a special little wrench for. I just replaced mine in spring, same symptoms as you. You can actually have your old one tested to be sure. I cant believe I can't remember the name of this.

EDIT: Found it, Ignition Control Module, ( ICM )

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_ignition_module/distributor_mounted_module_1.php

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 11-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Keep your dizzy, replace the …… um… now I can't remember the name of it. It bolts to the side of your distributor, 2 special little bolts that they make a special little wrench for. I just replaced mine in spring, same symptoms as you. You can actually have your old one tested to be sure. I can't believe I can't remember the name of this.
its some type of module, right?
how much did it cost to replace?

and, this would mean i need a gasket. any ideas on that?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I edited my last post to late lol. ICM module, Ignition Control Module. Wasn't that much, can't remember off hand. And as for your gasket, there isn't any base gasket, just o- ring seals on the shaft.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Its called the pip or otherwise Profile ignition pickup. You can replace it but the distributor needs to be disassembled to get to it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=184572_0_0_

Also the tfi short for thick film insulator (ignition control module) can cause this as well. It gets hot and causes bucking missing and stalling then when it cools it runs fine
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8646_300759_0_

Ignition coils also do not like heat, when they start to go bad they will cause severe miss .
Old 11-07-2013, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
And as for your gasket, there isn't any base gasket, just o- ring seals on the shaft.
those are what im talking about.
i was searching for base gaskets because i found some at summit, but not for my application. will recheck for shaft o-rings.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Its called the pip or otherwise Profile ignition pickup. You can replace it but the distributor needs to be disassembled to get to it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=184572_0_0_

Also the tfi short for thick film insulator (ignition control module) can cause this as well. It gets hot and causes bucking missing and stalling then when it cools it runs fine
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8646_300759_0_

Ignition coils also do not like heat, when they start to go bad they will cause severe miss .
those two parts combined cost $85 plus tax. i think a re-furb distributor can be got for $89.
looks like im in the market for a new distributor

anybody want to lay some suggestions on me?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Fox cars usually have the TFI module short out due to the engine heat. That is why it was remotely mounted to the fender in the SN cars. I would start with that as it seems to be a common problem.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
those two parts combined cost $85 plus tax. i think a re-furb distributor can be got for $89.
looks like im in the market for a new distributor

anybody want to lay some suggestions on me?
If you are going to go ahead and get another dizzy, stick with Motorcraft.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Fox cars usually have the TFI module short out due to the engine heat. That is why it was remotely mounted to the fender in the SN cars. I would start with that as it seems to be a common problem.
are you saying my module is on the fender? (95 is sn, yes?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: do i need a new distributor??