5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My New 1990 Mustang GT, Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Ballistics

http://treperformance.com/i-9214812-...l-stage-2.html

This kit says it will make 400fwhp. This is assuming that I have an after market intake?
Or this kit alone will get me where I want to be?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ballistics
So what would it take to actually get 330 to the wheels?
Ill help you out,

an engine is like a air pump, the more air it can suck in and exhale the more power.Your 306 will start the process of walking main cap bearings,breaking push rods to the valves, because your going to have to spin high rpms to get more power.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Ballistics

Originally Posted by aode08
Ill help you out,

an engine is like a air pump, the more air it can suck in and exhale the more power.Your 306 will start the process of walking main cap bearings,breaking push rods to the valves, because your going to have to spin high rpms to get more power.
So what do I need to do?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ballistics
So what do I need to do?
If you don't mind a high compression setup, than a high compression setup could pull it off.

The first thing would be to find out, what (cc)pistons are in your 306 to determine what top end kit would be appropriate.

High compression will require you to use felpro head gaskets , head studs not bolts.As well as the thicker rocker studs, not the wimpy skinny ones.And true roller rockers, not the cheap ball style.

After that, the drag of the stock pulleys should be changed to under drive pulleys with belt, the water pump fan clutch has to go,you'll need an electrical fan setup, easy.As well as an aluminum drive shaft to be installed.Your going to need as little rotating mass as possible.
Then to handle the high compression, your spark plugs,spark plug wires, coil pack has to be upgraded so the spark does not blow out..

I can walk you through the entire process, its what I do.Very easy, just the top end kit cost the most.

Last edited by aode08; 01-22-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Ballistics

If you don't mind a high compression setup, than a high compression setup could pull it off.

The first thing would be to find out, what (cc)pistons are in your 306 to determine what top end kit would be appropriate.
I'm assuming I'd have to take it to someone to look at it, to find that out.

High compression will require you to use felpro head gaskets , head studs not bolts.As well as the thicker rocker studs, not the wimpy skinny ones.And true roller rockers, not the cheap ball style.

After that, the drag of the stock pulleys should be changed to under drive pulleys with belt, the water pump fan clutch has to go,you'll need an electrical fan setup, easy.As well as an aluminum drive shaft to be installed.Your going to need as little rotating mass as possible.
Then to handle the high compression, your spark plugs,spark plug wires, coil pack has to be upgraded so the spark does not blow out..

I can walk you through the entire process, its what I do.Very easy, just the top end kit cost the most.
I appreciate any and all help I can get . Thank you.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

No just me is all you need,

you can pull a spark of out of cylinder one on the passenger side front most plug, shine a light, and maybe take a picture with your cell phone camera,or here is a chart, let me know what you see, this is easier to see the piston at night

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-306-en...ts-s/13041.htm

Just let me know the number of the piston and name off this list

Once we find that out, ill give you a complete parts list, you just buy and instal.Ill include several setups to save you money, maybe you can find used stuff on here, your local Craigslist, ill walk you through any installation question you may have.

You see because if you go trick flow, and some other heads, you'll smack the valves into the piston if its the wrong piston

Last edited by aode08; 01-22-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Ballistics

No just me is all you need
That's what I like to hear lol.

you can pull a spark of out of cylinder one on the passenger side front most plug, shine a light, and maybe take a picture with your cell phone camera,or here is a chart, let me know what you see, this is easier to see the piston at night

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-306-en...ts-s/13041.htm

Just let me know the number of the piston and name off this list

Once we find that out, ill give you a complete parts list, you just buy and instal.Ill include several setups to save you money, maybe you can find used stuff on here, your local Craigslist, ill walk you through any installation question you may have.

You see because if you go trick flow, and some other heads, you'll smack the valves into the piston if its the wrong piston
I'll do this asap.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Man, that video makes me miss my '89 GT!

I've got nothing useful to add, but congrats, great looking fox!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Ballistics

Thanks Raven.

AODE, I'm off Tuesday so I'll be able to get that info.

It's looking like I'm going to go with
AFR185s
RPMII Intake
XE270 cam
70mm Throttle body
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Very nice looking Fox. looks clean. bet it's very fun to drive.

Quick Reply: My New 1990 Mustang GT, Lots of questions