Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
andersed

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Mustan GT
Default stock tune to modified ecu

I'm new to all this fuel injection stuff. I just bought a 1990 GT with a 1999 Explorer 5.0 that has not been final assembled. The previous motor that ran in the car was a highly modified TFS top end with a big MAS air meter (not sure how big, but much larger than stock and full length headers. I intend to leave the Explorer motor stock with a Mustang upper and lower intake with a cold air intake and shorty BBK headers. I do not have access to the owner that modified the car. Can I use the computer in the car or do I need to replace it? If I replace it does anyone have any advice as to which would be best? I intend to use this car to commute 75 miles a day to and from work, so I would like to keep reasonable mileage and the most dependability I can get.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
andersed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Pull the computer and look to see if there is a chip in it.
If there is just pull it and it should put the computer back to stock.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
mongolchuck
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1991 LX Convertible

Putting the mustang upper and lower will choke that motor which isn't as good in upper rpm to begin with.
mongolchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
andersed

Thanks so much for the info, I just pulled the chip. Does anything go back where it came from? Is that chip sellable?

I have the Explorer intake, should I try to make that work instead? Can I use stock Mustang air meter and parts to straighten out that 90 degree elbow? I apologize for my ignorance of the parts, I'm an OLD carb guy, this is my first fuelie motor.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
mongolchuck
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1991 LX Convertible

The explorer intake can be adapted pretty easily, its a very common mod. The biggest thing with the explorer engines is they are truck engines; built for low end torque more than anything else. The cams are not the same as a mustang ho motor. There are tons of write ups on this an other forums about explorer parts and engines. Search gt40 intakes to start.
mongolchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
andersed

Thank you very much for your assistance, I believe I have a plan. I'm using the Explorer intake with a Mustang EGR, MAF, TB, and cold air. I like low end torque so I'll stay with the Explorer cam for now. I may be back with more questions after I light it off and it runs goofy!!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement