Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
94SN95

Vehicle: 1994 Ford Mustang Gt
Default How much cleaning the Mass Air Sensor really does help.

So I've been having a problem with my car. Every time I would come on to it in first it would cut right out. First I did plugs/wire/cap and someone used Bosh plugs on it ( I hate Bosh) I thought my problem would be there, because it looked like it hadn't been done in sometime. Low and behold I went right to the Mass Air Flow Sensor next and let me tell you what...The thing went form old dog to a 1 year old pup. I finally got to feel all the mods done to the car. Before it wouldn't even go past like 3krpm without falling flat on it's face. It's loving life. Just ordered my springs (with perfect lift for my e303 cam), timing chain, gaskets and my head bolts. Should have the old Gt40 set up going on in the next couple of weeks. It's coming back to life though. I kind of did a budget build and will eventually swap heads, injectors ect...But this will do for now. With a tune, I'd like to be at 280-300hp for a couple years. Big Mustang Cruise on May 31st in Bangor Maine. Taking the Stang's to Winterport DragWay after the car show and cruise. Should be a good time. Look them up on Facebook. Mustang Cruise. Well just thought maybe cleaning the MAF may help someone else in need. It also cured my idle problems I was having. Blab over.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
1994 Gt: Pulleys, 4:10's, Ford Racing clutch and flywheel. Mainly just serviced and got the car back to where it needs to be. Just picked up Gt40's, upper and lower Gt40 intake, lifters and E303 cam, soon to be installed

]
94SN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Yes defiantly cleaning the MAF is a great place to start when having loss of power and idle problems. Congrats , and nice car

I don't want to sound like a Negative Nancy here, but the gt40 Heads, intake and cam will only put you up to about the 250-260 RWHP. Don't get me wrong , its still a respectable increase over stock, as these cars only came in at 215 HP from the factory. And with the 4.10 gears will still be a fun little car to drive.
If you want to pump it up a little more , ditch the stock headers for some good 1 5/8" diameter long tubes , a good after market X or H pipe , and some good mufflers.
Careful what you do though , as Im not sure what kind of testing Maine does for smog. I know they are pretty strict up there on the environment stuff.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
aode08
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 91 Mustang GT

Ive found it better to replace the MAF with a SCT MAF and replace the 02 sensors with Denso
Sensors or Bosch.
Cleaning helps, but during tuning and watching the data flow statistics, the stock Ford (old stuff) does not meter information back to the ecm with consistency like new aftermarket products parts will, clean or not.

Ive seen the stock MAF-OLD , even after cleaned, sends little burbs or hickups/chops up some bits back to the ecm, then the ecm tries to compensate.

That sucks because your constantly driving around like that and may not even notice or care,but you losing power, gas mileage,engine and transmission life.

If you ever notice how smooth imports idle, then look at their electronics, you constantly find bosch electronics, denso etc for the maf and sensors, those are premium brands which are built to outperform a generic brand.

Id recommend you change out your 02 sensors now,they have been there since 94 and need to go,cant clean em.

And you have a 94, your ecm will get pissed when you do your swap, so a dyno-tune is in order, as to there are also heavy flaws in your stock tuning Ford tried to fix but never did.

347 , 11:1 Compression,Knife Edged Lightened Crank,AFR 185,Ported Trick-flow Intake,Ford X-CAM,Under-drive pulleys,aluminum drive-shaft, 3:73 gears,Fender Cold Air Intake,Long tube headers,MSD Digital Ignition System
Lightened chassis.

451HP 439 FtLbTrq. mid 10 second car !

Last edited by aode08; 02-23-2014 at 11:10 AM.
aode08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
94SN95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson1112 View Post
Yes defiantly cleaning the MAF is a great place to start when having loss of power and idle problems. Congrats , and nice car

I don't want to sound like a Negative Nancy here, but the gt40 Heads, intake and cam will only put you up to about the 250-260 RWHP. Don't get me wrong , its still a respectable increase over stock, as these cars only came in at 215 HP from the factory. And with the 4.10 gears will still be a fun little car to drive.
If you want to pump it up a little more , ditch the stock headers for some good 1 5/8" diameter long tubes , a good after market X or H pipe , and some good mufflers.
Careful what you do though , as Im not sure what kind of testing Maine does for smog. I know they are pretty strict up there on the environment stuff.
I have headers, x-pipe and flowmaster's. With the Port/Polish work and a good tune I think I'll be in the area of 280hp. I changed the 02 sensors when I did the exhaust. I also have pullies, injectors, and cold air intake. I hope I'm around 280hp after my tune. I work at a dealership so getting a sticker isn't a problem. The head work will be done right and perfect so I'm hoping to get a nice power gain.
1994 Gt: Pulleys, 4:10's, Ford Racing clutch and flywheel. Mainly just serviced and got the car back to where it needs to be. Just picked up Gt40's, upper and lower Gt40 intake, lifters and E303 cam, soon to be installed

]
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
94SN95

I'd love to go with a different cam but I got the e303 cam with lifters for $100.00 and I'm doing this build on a tight budget, so I couldn't pass them up. I'm very well aware that the SN95'S don't react well to cams. I've seen some take a cam and have no issues and I've seen others that wont even idle. I miss my Fox. So much easier to build a Fox.

]
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
aode08
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 91 Mustang GT

You have a nice cam for your setup and its easy to tune on that camshaft.

To get more power, instal a fender-well cold air intake, under drive pulleys, aluminum drive-shaft, and 180 degree stat,bigger maf 65mm preff.

Id also recc junking the power robbing clutch fan in favor of a small electrical off a taurus or whatever.The newer the year the better because, those fans give more output with less amp draw.

Hmm, the car also loves 5w20 lightweight oil.And traction bars, with engine and tranny stiffer mounts.

Everything counts man trust me!!!!!

Its not just power, its also how fast you can get there, when you hit the gas and consistency, instead of power drop off,ive been doing builds all my life, so I know.

We did an experiment and knife edged a 302 crank, installed clevor 4 valve heads and intake,intake valley girldes and main girdles, the dam thing pulled over 469hp at 6800 rpms, with all the little add ons lol, the Mercuri Capri it was in ran solid tens !

347 , 11:1 Compression,Knife Edged Lightened Crank,AFR 185,Ported Trick-flow Intake,Ford X-CAM,Under-drive pulleys,aluminum drive-shaft, 3:73 gears,Fender Cold Air Intake,Long tube headers,MSD Digital Ignition System
Lightened chassis.

451HP 439 FtLbTrq. mid 10 second car !
aode08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement