5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Keep breaking clutch cable. Wrong quadrant hook?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Default Keep breaking clutch cable. Wrong quadrant hook?

I am on my third clutch cable for my foxbody. They keep stripping by the firewall. I have bought them from different places. There is a no firewall adjuster but I do have an aluminum quadrant with 3 hooks on it. I always use the top hook, but perhaps I should be using a different one? Which is the correct hook??? Please help!

The clutch is an FMS King Cobra clutch which is not very heavy at all compared to stock.

Is there a place a can get a stronger one? I heard Ford OEM was the best but I can't find where to get it.

Thanks guys
Old 03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

Is the cable mounted to the frame of the car? I have seen where cables can rub if incorrectly installed. No saying your installation was improper but it may be slightly off track and rubbing to the firewall. I think your on the right hook. I use the third too and I have the same clutch. I have just noticed that the cables can turn and stretch if not mounted to the frame. Just my guess. I think most cables are made by the same company and most likely chineese.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

I seem to remember that it is correctly mounted to the frame by that metal hook. And I also believe it enters the firewall with no angle. It is not hard to press and it actually feels really light. It surprises me every time it breaks. I don't know if it may be rubbing against the frame while it goes over the K-member but I would think that wouldn't matter since the cable is inside the sleeve.

Basically I do not know how to install it exactly right since there are not exact instructions anywhere.

BUT! I just remembered, this used to happen on my previous foxbody as well (the white one) and I couldn't figure it out. That car had a firewall adjuster so I just assumed that it was adjusted incorrectly. So it surprised me when these non-adjustable cables started to break.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

I wonder if it has something to do with the weight on the pressure plate. I've snapped a cable on a hard clutch and dont think these cables are really good enough for the heavy duty clutches, although I will get held that MANY other foxers have the same set up. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Get one from MM and get a firewall adjuster. The MM cable is made by the OEM. The aftermarket ones (including Ford Racing) are junk. Went though 3 myself before I bought the whole MM setup. Just put one in my brother's car and he loves it.

Id also suggest just buying their entire kit with a new quadrant.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 PM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Wow, I read up on that and it sounds like exactly what I need. It's more expensive than occasionally buying a $30 cable at autozone but that's pointless if it's not reliable at all.

Thanks a lot
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Its worth it when you break a cable on the way home...twice.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I have a Steeda Quadrant, Firewall adjuster, and generic cable all from Brenspeed on my car with 0 problems. Get a firewall adjuster, you won't regret it.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Get one from MM and get a firewall adjuster. The MM cable is made by the OEM. The aftermarket ones (including Ford Racing) are junk. Went though 3 myself before I bought the whole MM setup. Just put one in my brother's car and he loves it.

Id also suggest just buying their entire kit with a new quadrant.

+1 for the Maximum Motorsports cable. Before i installed it, i had a Ford racing one for a couple days. The pedal effort was reduced with the MM clutch cable.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

multi-hook quadrants will always break cables if you do not properly align and shim the quadrant. Ive said it for years and nobody has ever listened. If you pull your quadrant out, youll see where the cable has been binding and rubbing.

The MM quadrant is a nice piece, but I prefer the Steeda quick release.

Quick Reply: Keep breaking clutch cable. Wrong quadrant hook?