5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Overheating at idle (New to Fox Bodies)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

simple 3g upgrade or powermaster 1 wire self exciting alt = low voltage solved........next problem
Old 09-09-2015, 12:42 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yep ^^^

I just put in the 3G kit from LateModel a couple months ago. Very easy install and works great, no more dim lights at idle, and my electric fan doesn't even move the gauge at idle anymore. Very happy with it.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Blk Vert

Originally Posted by mjr46
simple 3g upgrade or powermaster 1 wire self exciting alt = low voltage solved........next problem
Lol I'm already on it! next problem is right lol
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 PM
Blk Vert

I ordered a lot of parts from LateModel for the upgrade, but not their 3G alternator.
I ordered the following parts from them:
- Ground strap (stock)
- Starter cable (stock)
- Motocraft negative battery cable (stock)
- Motocraft positive battery cable (stock)
- Battery tray Hardware to replace my rusty stuff
- Battery hold down( the black plastic part that holds down the battery) I don't have one.
- Battery hold down bolt. (Mine is missing)

Should I go with these wires or should I go with something else/better?

I also just bought a Yellow Top Optima battery and installed quick disconnects on it too. I originally thought my battery was bad, but the problem ended up being a bad alternator. With the new alternator and new Optima the car was still only at 12.3 and lower with the lights and a/c on! I took back the alternator tonight and they said it was bad. The New/rebuild one....

I already ordered a SR Performance Alternator 150Amp and PA Performance Premium Power wire Monday and it should be here tomorrow. This alternator produces 70 amps at idle(apparently).

With all this I think I should be ready to go.

I'm nervous about cutting the bracket. Im going to take out the whole thing and try to cut it with my Dremel tool. Then clean the bracket and then paint it.
I'm not sure if I'm going to go clear, black, or gray/steel color yet.

Where the heck do I start a build thread around here! Lol
Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Don't be nervous about cutting the bracket, your just putting a little notch in it. I did mine while it was still mounted, that way you could just swing the alternator in location to see if it hits. 2 minute job

And as for your cables, any part with the word Motorcraft on it will be better than the knock-off stuff.

And this is your build thread now lol. Good luck
Old 09-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Blk Vert

Orange Peel, what type of tool did you use to cut the bracket? Dremel, angle grinder, etc.?
Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Blk Vert
Orange Peel, what type of tool did you use to cut the bracket? Dremel, angle grinder, etc.?
simple die grinder works fine....done it more than once
Old 09-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Blk Vert

I'm so MAD!
I just finished putting on the 3G alternator and noticed that I have under drive pullies!
I'm so mad that I never noticed this before. I had a heating problem and low voltage problem and these pullies didn't freaken help. Smh
The crank and water pump pulley looks like BBK pullies and I'm assuming they are, because the rest of the up grades are BBK that the previous owner put on the car.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I have underdrive pullies and have none of those issues.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'm also running UD pulleys, just because they were on the car when I got it. And I also haven't ran into any problems with them. Unless when I'm tinkering and drop the idle 600-700, then my volt gauge will drop. And I've never had a problem with overheating. But each car is different.

Compare pulley sizes on your old alt. to the new 3G one. My old alternator pulley was actually smaller than the one that came on the 3G one.

Quick Reply: Overheating at idle (New to Fox Bodies)