5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94Gt please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Default 94Gt please help!

My steering is scary messed up! 1994 Gt. Steering is beyond tight. When I turn to the right the wheel almost stick to the right, no counter rotation on the wheel at all. I thought it was the ball joints so I put steeda x2's in it two days ago and nothing. I have a steering shaft and a wheel with the column. One guy said it could be the check valve in the pump so I should hit it with a hammer? The mechanic that put the ball joints in said the rack had a little fluid coming out. Also my wheel itself has 3' of play. The wheels on the car are straight but the steering wheel goes to the right? There was a newer wheel put on at some point. I've looked at tons of forums all mustangs and other makes with no real answer why this happening. I have caster plates on the way because it was lowered with just spring (retards). Any help would be awesome. I do have a shop manual but need directions if you try to lead me to do things or try. Thanks guys please help!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Sorry for typo's my computer is on the verge of updating and restarting so I'm typing like a mad man!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

I also did a semi ps fluid change. I syringed the fluid out of the reservoir and put new fluid in, jacked it up and turned the wheel lock to lock to remove air. I did notice a bunch of tiny air bubbles in the system but believe I got them out. Just at a stand still and don't want to just start blowing money when it's something like a tire rod or something. The tie rods look by the way. Just scary not knowing what it is and if it's just going to lock up. No one seems to say "this is what the fix is" like it's normal and it really shouldn't be normal. I think starting at the alignment rack with the new steeda caster plates is a good idea.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Well Tight most likely means something is binding. Put it up on jack stands and have someone turn the wheel side to side and look for contact points. If you find nothing then most likely your power rack is shot. Good looking car by the way!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Well Tight most likely means something is binding. Put it up on jack stands and have someone turn the wheel side to side and look for contact points. If you find nothing then most likely your power rack is shot. Good looking car by the way!

Thanks a lot man and ditto. Man I've researched every forum, every make of car from AMG's to Honda Prelude's with the exact problem and not one person has said this is what it is. I'm really leaning towards the shaft/rack. I just went out and took my newer shaft with me and compared it to the shaft that's in there and the one in the car doesn't look very healthy. My plan of attack is expensive and if it doesn't fix my problem I'm going to burn this bitch down lol. New pump, new AGR rack and the newer shaft installed with a flush and purge of air. Might as well do the tire rods well I'm in there. Now when I bought the car, the guy said he had put a wheel form a newer Mustang in the car. Which I believe because there's little to no wear on the wheel. I'm wondering if that's where my problem is....Is there anything in there that he could've forgot to re-install or not install right that would cause this issue? What really sucks is that I have a complete wheel to rack set up but everything but the shaft is on Ebay right now and ends in 6 hours lol. I almost think I should pull it off but those 5 watchers make it damn hard! Out of all the forums, I haven't seen anyone actually take the wheel and column out and replace it. Some people with AMG'S and WRX's have been dealing with this problem for years under warranty!!! I guess the dealerships are telling these people that it's all in their head. Well I know that when my damn steering wheel has to be manual pulled back in order to straighten it out and I have a power steering rack...There's a damn problem. I really just don't see it being a pump or a rack but maybe. It's harder going right that's for sure.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Hey BluebeastSrt, are those Roushe ground affects? I really like them! Where did you pick them up and price?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Wow! I'll be damned! It was the check valve. I went out and literally smacked the power steering pump with a hammer some good hits and bam it went back to where it was still stiff but man not so tight i cant turn it. i think the caster camber plates and a alignment will do the rest. Couldn't believe it. Damn check valve. So if it ever happens just go whack the power steering pump! Lol!!!