5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Used seafoam :icon_frown:

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Default Used seafoam :icon_frown:

So here I was super happy because I got the cobra running cherry. full tune up and also changed the dizzy as I was having a problem with the motor cutting off under load. Anyways got this can of seafoam and dropped it into my nearly empty tank and pumped about half a tank. Car ran fine for the first 20min of driving around. Got home, got ready for work and turned car on drove down the street and it started hesitating pretty bad.. no CEL turned on but car was also idling lower than usual? What happened guys.? HELP
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

should have added half a bottle of sea foam and a full tank of gas
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

^^what he said... I'm generally not a fan of anything in a gas tank but gas anyhow. That much Seafoam could have fried your O2s or fouled the plugs. Hard to say?

What I would probably do is short the pin that turns the fuel pump on continuously (can't remember where and what pins) and pump at least 1/2 of remaining tank out at the fuel out at the rail and fill it back up with normal gas. It may run just fine after a bit.. it may not?

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-20-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

$$$$$hit! I cant believe this. WOW. hopefully the 02 sensors are fine since i parked car as soon as it was acting up and also i have no CEL on either. so now i basically have to empty tank and fuel lines and add regular gas. oh and check my plugs too. I cant believe my luck with this car soo far.

any ideas how to empty tank without dropping it.?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Js88lx
any ideas how to empty tank without dropping it.?
Yes... I just told you what to do!

Here's some more detail..

Behind your alternator there is a service port for the fuel rails (at least that's where it is on a Fox). Use a rag and a screw driver to remove the pressure (just push the center of the shrader valve in, just like a tire) with the car off. Get a shrader valve tool to remove the valve from the rail (again.. just like a tire... the tool is about $4 at any parts store), stick a piece of 1/4" fuel line over the service port with a clamp (just a cheap spring clamp will do), put the other end of the hose into a can.

Then short the fuel pump pin on the self-test connector and the pump will run continuously. Make sure you have plenty of gas cans handy and have some plan to keep the battery charged up.

I'd change the gas before I'd bother pulling plugs. It may run just fine with good fuel.
Attached Thumbnails Used seafoam :icon_frown:-indexphpactiondlattachtopic2471-1.gif  

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-21-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Ok.Kool! Thanks. I was going to syphon gas out but this sounds easier. I will do this tonight.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

no, you ran the car low or empty, sucked up all the tar and garnish the additive effected into the fuel pump and killed it. Drop the tank, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter and strainer

Last edited by aode08; 06-21-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys.., verdict! I had to prime.., yes i said prime all my gas out (half tank) into 2 home depot buckets. Poured 2 gallons of gas and started her up. She runs perfect! Drove around and did a couple of 1,2 runs and shes never been this awake!! By the way, no more cutting off under load! Looks like the new dizzy fixed my original problem! Thanks guys for all the support!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:09 AM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxwelhse
Yes... I just told you what to do!

Here's some more detail..

Behind your alternator there is a service port for the fuel rails (at least that's where it is on a Fox). Use a rag and a screw driver to remove the pressure (just push the center of the shrader valve in, just like a tire) with the car off. Get a shrader valve tool to remove the valve from the rail (again.. just like a tire... the tool is about $4 at any parts store), stick a piece of 1/4" fuel line over the service port with a clamp (just a cheap spring clamp will do), put the other end of the hose into a can.

Then short the fuel pump pin on the self-test connector and the pump will run continuously. Make sure you have plenty of gas cans handy and have some plan to keep the battery charged up.

I'd change the gas before I'd bother pulling plugs. It may run just fine with good fuel.
I tried this but no luck! Ended up priming gas out and could not syphon gas out of tank. Seemed like there was a screen or something in the tank. Thanks tho!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I have had the same problem trying to pump fuel out of the filler neck before too and came to the same conclusion. Too bad the connector trick didn't work. Glad you got it fixed!

You can probably run that gas in SMALL batches mixed with fresh gas if you can get it transferred into something better than a Homer Bucket. 1/2 a tank of gas these days is enough money that I'd try to use it. Mow the yard with it if anything.

Quick Reply: Used seafoam :icon_frown: