5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox roof and hood damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM
DaveNewman

Thanks for the help, guys. This really sucks. Oh well, I've always wanted to learn how to do body work and this is the perfect opportunity to learn I suppose. The car is in need of a full restoration and it's time I put it in storage and got to work. As a college student paying his own way this is going to take years. Does anyone know of any good online resources for someone looking to learn body work?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Youtube is full of videos. My advice is to watch as many as you possibly can and ask questions when you have them. You're going to see people do it wrong and right so don't trust just any single source. You can also look up paintless dent removal and using a stud gun like others have suggested.

FWIW, one of the best mechanics I have ever known (and a pretty good body guy) did a roof re-skin on his hatch (apparently it rusted from the inside out which is weird). He came out with a good result but it took him forever and was a ton of work. He removed the entire roof at the factory joints and patched the replacement one in the same way. He said he would never do it again and he's not someone that is shy about large projects.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

PDR can not fix that roof to many crease in the metal can they make it look better yes but they cant make 100%. If you put a stud gun to it it will need painted and the glue type well it only works ok. You could do a roof on the thing in a reasonable amount of time but you need to find one first and be very careful when you start cutting the used one lose from the roof bows so you dont distort the metal all up. you would be better off detrimming the car and then have a pro do the roof for you if you are gone to replace it. not really a beginner project. if you are gone to put a roof on it the windshield needs to come out the side glass comes out the rear hatch comes off head liner and all the interior trim near the roof, roof molding weather seals. There is lots you can do to save yourself some money and it still not gone to be cheap. Or you can just mud it up after you work most of the dents out.