Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
fivepointohh666

Vehicle: 1991 ford mustang gt
Question cant set base idle

so i been having a problem with my cars idle i unplug the IAC while its running and doesnt change idle whatsoever seems its not even doing anything , i have adjusted tps to 0.94v seems to be working fine , i cant check timing due to it being loopy up and down at times , about fuel presure i havent been able to check kinda pricey so im waiting to get a loan one later on but the car has plenty of power doesnt seem like a weak pump i have done self test got codes 41 91 and 85 back im aware that o2 sensors most likely bad it is draining alot of gas but im concerned about the idle isue here is a video i caught the car gooffing off it changes idle , IAC is brand new 5 days old tops ive checked for vaccum leaks up and down and im pretty sure i got them all once the idle goes up past 1k it stays there brand new fuel regulator and fuel filter

This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
fivepointohh666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
88 orangepeel notch
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 notchback

Your timing marks moving around at idle points towards a worn timing chain.
306 with all bolt ons, letter cam, ported E7's, T5 swap, full exhaust, 3:55's, 2" drop, and the worst paint you'll ever see or feel.
Dyno'd 300/316, 2745lbs-track scale
Best ET………12.4@108, 1.66 60ft on 8" ET Drags.
24 mpg (combined)
88 orangepeel notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Vehicle: 83 GLX, 93 LX, 98 sixer

please describe how you are trying to set the base idle.

When you are trying to check the timing are you removing the spout connector?
projectresto83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
fivepointohh666

well i had a friend look at it didnt know about the spout connector but the car idles around 1.2k so he said i need to fix the idle first because its not marking it correctly due to the car idleing so high , but now after i shot that video when i start it up cold it shoots the rev normally then hits bottom dies instantly unless i gas it a couple times to keep it alive then itll idle but very low at 550rpm i belive i put it into drive hangs around 750rpm ,ive been thinkking mabye bad worn out fuel pump giving me low presure ?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
fivepointohh666

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectresto83 View Post
please describe how you are trying to set the base idle.

When you are trying to check the timing are you removing the spout connector?
ok when i try to lower my idle to check timing , i unplug the IAC but my idle remains high above 1k rpm im not sure if i need to do anything before that or after that , to my knowledge i need to have to unplug the IAC and turn the car on and it should ethier die or struggle but my car turns on as if IAC is still plugged in lol , ill shoot a video if needed ?? i have set tps at 0.94v tested it by opening the throttle plate and the voltage raises and lowers steady no jumping around or anything , and the screw behind the throttle plate is not even pushing the blade open its all out , im lost to what i need to do next ?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement