5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 Cobra Won't Start - Bad Fuel Pump?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM
WHTEVNM

Default 95 Cobra Won't Start - Bad Fuel Pump?

Last week I was pulling into my garage from work and my Cobra just died and hasn’t started since. It will crank and when I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and cranked it, it started up. This leads me to believe that I have spark and the ignition system is good. When I turn the key I can hear a buzzing noise from the CCRM in the front of the car so that leads me to believe that the CCRM is good. As far as I can tell, I cannot hear the fuel pump prime the system when I turn the key. I have checked all fuses and they are good, replaced the fuel filter, checked the inertia switch, and checked the schrader valve. When I crank the key and compress the core of the schrader valve, a little bit of fuel trickles out. If the fuel pump was good, I would imagine that a spray of fuel would come out of the valve. I believe that the fuel pump is bad but before I take on the large task of replacing it, I wanted to see what other opinions are out there. Thanks for reading!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Get a voltage meter and check the voltage to the pump. If voltage is good. Check the fuel pressure. If you drop the tank. Your pump might be pulling a ton of crap out of the tank into the pump suction.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 07-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

verify fp circuit is fine, as stated above, if so, replace pump
Old 07-20-2014, 03:46 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if you replace the pump only use oem or a walbro etc because if you buy a crappy pump youll be back making a post in about a month
Old 07-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

My guess is bad pump! If you prime car with the Schrader valve pressed in (2 man job) and no gas comes out of valve and also if you don't hear your pump prime on key on then bad pump. Also make sure the emergency cutoff switch didn't activate. I believe its in the trunk somewhere. Happened to me once and only found out til after I swapped pumps!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM
blueboosted95
2nd Gear Member

Check inertia switch FIRST!!! mash the red button and look at the wires going to it make sure they aren't beginning to melt!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM
WHTEVNM

Thanks for the response. I have heard of the PIP sensor in the dizzy going bad in these cars but, like I said, when we spray starter fluid in the throttle body the car will start so I do have spark. Now I’m starting to think that the issue is the CCRM. I put my ear up to the fuel tank and had someone turn the key and can definitely say that the fuel pump makes a buzzing noise to prime the system. I also put a voltmeter on the wire harness plug to the fuel tank and it was getting voltage. Maybe not enough from the CCRM to prime the system? I got about 9.8 volts. How much does the fuel pump require? Also, when the key is turned, the CCRM makes about 3 or 4 clicking noises. Is that normal? If I do get a new CCRM how do I know I get the correct one? Sorry for all of the questions. I really want to get this car up and running. I just bought it a month ago.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Fuel pumps normally see 12-13 volts. But 10 volts should still be enough to power the pump. As far as a clicking noise on the CCRM. I've never heard it make any kind of sound. If you have to purchase a CCRM. The Cobra and GT use the same one so any autoparts store should have them. I think it would still be nice to know the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. (Tested with a fuel pressure tester) If you don't own one a lot of autoparts stores will loan you one for a deposit that youll get back when you return it.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

90% of my money on on bad pump.... Get under the car and kick the snot out of the gas tank and see if it lights up. If so, roasted pump.

If not, check what they said, then replace the pump. Walbro 255LHP is the way to fly.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 PM
WHTEVNM

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve and the system isn’t being pressurized. No reading on the gauge with the key on or when I crank the motor. The fuel pump is getting power and I had someone crank the motor while I hit the fuel tank to try and get the pump going but nothing happened. Even though I can hear the pump buzzing when the key is on and a little fuel jumps out of the schrader valve when the core is compressed and the motor is cranked, it doesn’t seem to be priming the system. At this point I think I will order a fuel pump. Any issues with this pump?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Fuel-Pump-Kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Cobra Won't Start - Bad Fuel Pump?