Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1987 Ford Mustang GT
Default This car is going to kill me! Emissions help!

Ok. This car is seriously pissing me off. Two years ago it passed with flying colors, not much has changed since then except the addition of GT40p head and the delete of the smog pump.

Anyways, just a week ago I went to emissions in Arizona. Car passed the tail pipe test beautifully with hydrocarbons at 1.14, carbon monoxide at 7.94, and nitrogen at 1.28 but it failed the pressure test. The above readings are WAY below what it takes to pass so I was happy with that. The pressure test is when they cap some line coming from the vapor canister and pressurize the gas tank. Failed that multiple times even after replacing the filler neck and grommet, new fuel pump o-ring and replacing the rubber vent line.

But I was in luck. I had a friend that worked in the emissions place and he said he'd waive my pressure test so I go there and that should be the end right? No. When I go there, all of a sudden, all the numbers jump up now the damn car puts out 3.12 on hydrocarbons, 12.74 on carbon, and 2.36 on nitrogen. Carbon and nitrogen are just barely low enough to pass but hydrocarbons is way too high with 1.10 being the passing limit. WTF happened? Since the car failed a week ago, I haven't driven it at all since it's not registered. Not a damn thing has changed on the car since then so I'm confused. What could've possibly went wrong? Checked all vent lines and they look good.

Also, I haven't hooked up the EGR. Whenever I hook up the EGR to vacuum on the intake manifold, the car idles extremely rough and starts smoking so I left it unhooked. Could this now be a problem? Is there any way to fool the pressure test? Please help guys. Need this done today.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Dj_Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
JPJP
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: '86, FORD, MUSTANG GT

Was the car good and hot before you took it in for the test? Sometimes better emissions when high operating temp. Just throwing a thought out there.
JPJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Selcouth

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJP View Post
Was the car good and hot before you took it in for the test? Sometimes better emissions when high operating temp. Just throwing a thought out there.
^This

The car needs to be at operating temperature. You'd be surprised how numbers are affected by the car cooling off while waiting their turn. Another trick is to pull timing before emission testing.
Selcouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
JPJP
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: '86, FORD, MUSTANG GT

Pull the air filter element if you want the CO (carbon monoxide) to decrease.
JPJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement