5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4 lug brake systems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:53 PM
AlienVomit

Question 4 lug brake systems?

I really had my heart set on a Wilwood kit, but learned from their tech/sales support that they only sell 5 lug pattern hubs in their systems.

I really like my rims and had spent some time and money powder coating them and they are 4 lug, as many of the stock rims are as well, so I don't understand why they would abandon that configuration.

Anyhow, is there any decent 4 lug brake kits out there? Or...can I use a Wilwood system, but a different/factory hub?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Don't bother. The 4 lug setup is weak and inferior in every way. You are limited to BS brakes that will NEVER perform like anything the 5 lug setup will get you. Trust me, I just spent $2,000 on the SN95 Cobra front and rear brake conversion, 5 lug ARP studs, new rims, all new brake (everything), and stronger 28 spline axles (which the stock axles are infamous for snapping too by the way). It has saved me and my car 3 times in the last 6 months since doing it. BEST MONEY I'VE EVER SPENT. It took my 30-0 stopping distance from 37ft to 17ft. Don't screw around with BS brakes, save up, spend the money, and upgrade the most important part of your car.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Also, the SN95 Cobra brakes were made by Baer, and the ball joints (which you do not have to grease by the way) are waaaaaaaaaaay better than the foxbodys. Also, no more packing bearings every time you have to take the brakes off.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

SSBC has a four lug rear kit but I dont know of any front kit. I bought all Wilwood stuff for my car and I love it. Granted it was not cheap but that bitch sure stops on a dime.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you don't need to spend grand on brakes and go 5 lug to stop decent....I still run completely stock brakes on a 85 mustang with the only upgrade being the front to 78-93 style and done right 4 lug set ups are not inferior in every way, oh yeah and my ride runs mid 10's and it stops just fine......I'm about ready to upgrade the rear to disc with the t-bird set up....so as to be able to keep my 15 inch drag tires, something 5 lug can't offer you and if you like your rims no reason to go buy new rims..... also this place and kits will allow you to keep the fox track width without having to change axles.......unless you plan to build a single digit race car, for street applications this will work good for the rear and you can upgrade the front accordingly based on your current rim size........I'm limited in choice as I run 15 inch drag radials try this place out: http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

Last edited by mjr46; 08-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Northracecars.com sells all the stuff you need for a 4 lug or 5 lug brake upgrade. The guys name is Rick, and he has patents on his axles which are foxbody length and SN95 hub size so the brakes fit right with no issues. 4 lug is inferior in strength, looks like crap, limits your rims, limits your rotor size, and you can kiss the idea of putting on Brembo, Willwood, Baer, and SN95/Baer brakes on your car. I like beating the hell out of my car and not worrying about the wheels falling off or the axles snapping. It's a BS design by Ford that needs to be fixed. I'm not saying that you cannot stop decent by sticking to the 4 lug, but why the hell would you limit yourself? If packing bearings tickles your fancy and having a limited setup, go for the 4 lug.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 08-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Keep your rims, make sure your braking system is maintained with good parts, great pads and enjoy. Yeah, there's really good brake systems out there, but you'll pay for them. I've never complained about my stocker brakes, they've always worked well in my car. Good pads made a big difference, and maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

I like to spend my money going faster, not slowing down. But that's just me. Sorry Yuri lol.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Also, so say you buy an SSBC kit for 800 and stay with the 4 lug... yes I spent 2,000 but lets consider what I got for the extra 1,200... brand NEW 5 lug ARP studs which will never break, new axles (which will snap before your 4 lug setup if they are stock), 2 piston front, 14" rotors, 12" rear rotors, all new Maximum Motorsports stainless steel brake lines, all new Maximum Motorsports pre-bent hard lines, new 1" 93 Cobra master cylinder, new 93 cobra brake booster, Willwood adjustable brake proportioning valve, fresh red line gear oil, new SN95 cobra R style rims, swapped and balanced my tires with nitrogen, new parking brake cables, I never worry about snapping wheels studs or axles, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, new control arm bushings, the ability to put on Brembo set up with I want, the ability to put on Maximum Motorsports K member with MM control arms, no more backing bearings, Hawk brake pads, SN95 spindles with better geometry than the foxbody's, better ball joints, new adjustable parking brake cable, much easier brake jobs, NO MORE BS DRUMS, have an upgraded and more modern/unique foxbody and a stopping distance that will put you through the window. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the picture. All for an extra 1,200... worth it if you ask me. Like I said, it already paid for it's self on 3 separate occasions and I've never regretted it from the first time I mashed that brake pedal.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

"I like to spend my money going faster, not slowing down. Sorry Yuri lol."[/QUOTE]

LMAO That's cool until some jackass pulls out in front of you and slows you down permanently. I live in Florida with all the old people, so I need good brakes. I've put too much time and money in my ride to have it destroyed over crappy brakes.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Lol, great point about living in Florida, I never thought about who your sharing the road with lol.

Quick Reply: 4 lug brake systems?