5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4 lug brake systems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I'm NOT getting hostile with anybody or anything like that at all. It's a touchy subject for me I guess because that's the reason why I got rid of my bikes (old people and lack of ability to stop well enough). The 4 lug set up can certainly be made better, but the truth is even though it's more money the 5 lug setup has the most potential. Trust me, I get being a baller on a budget. It took me months to save up, but it's worth the time and money. There are cheaper ways to go about the 5 lug set up, but I just ripped the band aid off all at once with top of the line parts, so it was of course a little more expensive at first, but if you are going to go 5 lug, it's waaaaay cheaper to do it all at once. Like with anything else on the car, it's ultimately up to "what do I want to do with the car and how big of a baller am I?"

Last edited by yurizx6r; 08-28-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I understand what your saying, but I didn't take anything you said as being hostile, or rude or even disrespectful. We're just discussing brake options. I'm one of those people that aren't very serious about things and find humor in almost everything. Plus I got a little sumthin sumthin this morning from the wife, so today is a good day.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Nice going with the wife. lol That's cool I just wanted to give as much information as I can and the rest is up to you. I really love the results I got from my investment, and I'm a very firm believer in building a car from the ground up. Power is worthless useless you can control it or stop it when necessary. The 2 most fundamentally flawed things on foxbodys are the suspension and brakes. Two areas that MUST be addressed before adding any power to it whatsoever.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Funny how I use those 'inferior' 3 lug brakes on my 10 second race car and they seem to work great stopping it from 126+ MPH.
Oh BTW, I'm one of those old people too, #66 coming up......
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

3 lug!? lmao What kind of Mustang do you have!!!??? Listen, I'll put it this way, the 93 Cobra which had a better master cylinder, brake booster, and rear disc brakes was known to stop from 30-0 at 37 feet. Once I did my SN95 Cobra upgrade, I consistently did 17 feet. Literally more than HALF of what the 93 Cobra could do. Also, keep in mind that I was still adjusting the proportioning valve and the brakes were still quite new (less than 5 miles on them). I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty damn good. I'm not saying at all you cannot stop from 126+ MPG with the 4 lug set up, but you could do it BETTER with a 5 lug upgrade because they have the better brakes. You cannot argue that 5 lug ARP is not superior to any 4 lug set up. No 4 lug setup can compare to Brembo, Willwood, or Baer brakes, which you can only get with 5 lugs.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 08-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Also, by the way Tinman, I mean no disrespect in anything I've said. It is what it is, and where I live people drive like complete fools. Old, young, man, women, etc. Since I am such a big believer in a good setup, I will argue what I think is right to the best of my abilities. So please do not take any offense to anything I say. The fact is that the SN95 Cobra brakes were made to stop a car that weighed 3,800 pounds, and they did a great job doing it. 14" front rotors, dual piston calipers designed by Baer. Imagine what that does to the foxbody which is about 700-1,000 pounds lighter depending on what you have. Also keep in mind there is a big difference between stopping once at the drag strip and continuous braking at the track. Stock brakes and drums will stop fine......once, but will be subject to brake fade once they heat up. You don't have to worry about that with a better brake setup. Even the guys at Maximum Motorsports will tell you how the stock brakes are pretty decent for the first stop, but after that.... nah.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 08-29-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

The only relevant question that needs to be answered is "what does the op want/intended use of the car? that'll dictate need/options. So waiting on op's response.

Last edited by mjr46; 08-29-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Also, here are some outside sources to back up my claims...

http://www.stangbangers.com/93_Cobra...28_Article.htm

http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performanc...discbrake.html
Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Subscribed.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
I will never convert to 5 lug for the same reason the OP wishes not to, irregardless of what a magazine article "claims".............Not gonna waste 3000 for all new street and drag tires and wheels just so I can have fancy brakes shinning through the rims because some one in a magazine article thinks they don't look as good as the bigger brakes. Plus I don't drive like a jackhole on the street giving it hell at every chance I can, some of us grow out of the 16 year old antics....either way my car stops quite well with the north race cars 4 lug disc set up in the 1320 at 130+ mph all with with inferior 4 lug axles that I have never broken, if you don't believe me you can watch it from the back all day long...lol Are there better set ups than mine...sure, is yours better than mine.....I'm sure it is, Do I/the OP need what you have....? NO, PROBABLY not as I can use a hole 1/8 to 1/4 to slow down, and no I have never needed such at the track. to each his own.

Last edited by mjr46; 08-29-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 4 lug brake systems?