5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4 lug brake systems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:36 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
Also, by the way Tinman, I mean no disrespect in anything I've said. It is what it is, and where I live people drive like complete fools. Old, young, man, women, etc. Since I am such a big believer in a good setup, I will argue what I think is right to the best of my abilities. So please do not take any offense to anything I say. The fact is that the SN95 Cobra brakes were made to stop a car that weighed 3,800 pounds, and they did a great job doing it. 14" front rotors, dual piston calipers designed by Baer. Imagine what that does to the foxbody which is about 700-1,000 pounds lighter depending on what you have. Also keep in mind there is a big difference between stopping once at the drag strip and continuous braking at the track. Stock brakes and drums will stop fine......once, but will be subject to brake fade once they heat up. You don't have to worry about that with a better brake setup. Even the guys at Maximum Motorsports will tell you how the stock brakes are pretty decent for the first stop, but after that.... nah.
I'm using ARP studs on my 4 lug system. Those studs can purchased just about anywhere and installed at home, there is nothing exclusive about them........
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Never said they were exclusive. I even run ARP on my Chevy Cobalt, and I don't worry about anything breaking no matter how hard I drive it. But 5 lug ARP will be always be stronger than 4 lug ARP. There's no denying that.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

With myself on board my car right off the dragstrip it weights 2775. When Ford built it it was probably about 3350#.
Point being with that sort of weight reduction it has the same effect as using a bigger brake system.......
Car stops really well and any 4 lug system is lighter than any 5 lug system, have no plans to ever change.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Id like to hear all of the weight reduction you did. I removed close to 400 pounds from my car and I bet it'll still weight 3200 with me in it. (I'm 6'4, 260) I've read foxes are about 150 pounds lighter than a SN95. I still need to do some more. My car still has the air bags and stock drive shaft but I'm always looking for ideas.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 09-04-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Remove all interior, tubular K-member, MM front control arms w/ coil overs, aluminum drive shaft, fiberglass hatch, fiberglass hood, get rid of A/C, get rid of spare tire, heads, intake, smog pump, and all unnecessary systems such as wiper system, power steering, charcoal canister/EGR, etc. if you're going to have a trailer queen
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Tinman, I don't care if you want to stay 4 lug, it's your car and you can do what you want with it. That's what modding is, you have a goal for the car and you do it. Cars would be so boring if everybody did the same thing. Keep your 4 lug, be happy. I say 5 lug is better because it's stronger, comes with way more benefits, and a more direct way to get the stopping power you want. Why jump through so many hoops to avoid a stronger set up? What you're going to put in a 31 spline axles in, put in a weaker brake system, go through the trouble to shed more weight to keep up with mine, and stick with 4 lug? Does not make sense to me, but go for it. My car is light weight too and I have good brakes with 31 spine axles. My car can do track, daily drive, and do the drag strip. That was my goal, and I'm happy with my results. Not everybody would want an all around car, but that's what makes mine unique. Stick with your 4 lug system, it's fine for your application, but don't knock the fact that you can do more with the 5 lug system. I realize people work on budgets, so do I, but a better system is a better system. Even if the brakes added on another 50 pounds (which it does not), it more than pulls it's weight. I'm done with it at this point.