Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
SWGSSSlacker

Vehicle: 1990 Ford LX Notch
Default Removing headers

Hello,

I'm new here and there are over 4000 pages of info here so please forgive me if I ask a question that has already been asked.

I have a 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch that i want to replace the stock headers on. The car has 163000 miles on it so the nuts and bolts look pretty rough.

My question is this:

Should I expect to break a few header manifold bolts off in the process or is the process pretty non eventful ?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
SWGSSSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Soak them good in some kind of penetrating oil, pb blaster or similar. Allow to set over night before you attempt to loosen them. You should have no problem with them breaking off, I have yet to break off a header bolt. The biggest problem I encounter are the heads of the bolt being rusted so bad that a standard size socket wont work , so I have had to go to a easy out type of socket designed to grip stripped bolt heads.

Take your time and don't force them, if you encounter one that feels like it wont budge use a propane torch and heat the head of it up, then quench it with pb blaster , do this a few times and it will eventually let loose.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
SWGSSSlacker

I'm currently soaking them with Kroil but it hasn't been overnight....more like 15 minutes. Thank you for the advice.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you feel confident that they will come out with a reasonable amount of force go for it, just don't force it by using a breaker bar. They should loosen up using a standard 3/8 ratchet.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
SWGSSSlacker

No issues what so ever. Car sounds alot different now.
Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Good deal, glad it went smooth.

Not only will it sound different but it opened up the exhaust a bit as well. The stock headers are restrictive as hell. Don't know what after market headers you used, but the stockers are about 1" diameter, the popular after market size is 1 5/8" so that really helps the engine breath a lot better.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
SWGSSSlacker

I went with BBK shorty headers from LateModelRestoration. There are no cats on the car, the downtubes, H-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers and exhaust tips are all new. The car sounds really nice as I mentioned. It took me forever to get the exhaust tips at the back of the car to be equally gapped/spaced.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
SWGSSSlacker

Doh....the new headers are 1 5/8" in diameter.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:59 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement