5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

valve cover gasket questions (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

Default valve cover gasket questions (with pics!)

hey all
95 gt
1.6 roller rockers
stock valve covers
previously was an e-cam when the old gaskets were put on, now is a comp cam with if i recall correctly is practically same lift. i dont know if the cam matters for my issues, but i figured i would add the info here. covers havent been on since cam was installed (part of putting back together)

in process of putting engine back together after having it apart for quite a while.
i saved at least one of the gaskets (pics below), of which im not 100% sure which side it was on, but i am pretty sure it was the passenger side.
so, the gasket was doubled, and i assume it was doubled to clear the rockers.
i dont want to put everything back together and find out theres not enough clearance. so, could i just be safe than sorry and double up both sides?
i can put a single on each side and turn the crank by hand and listen for tapping, but i dont know if that is just as good as running the engine. or perhaps running the engine with not enough clearance would be very very bad?

anybody running 1.6 rockers and stock covers and had a clearance problem?
i know the end rockers were shaved to clear the sides of the covers.

also, in one of the pics, you can see some metal disks around the bolt hole. all the bolt holes have these metal disks and on both gaskets. i suspect these are to prevent you from compressing the gasket(s) too much?

in the pic of the doubled gaskets, the outer edge looks quite tall, but the compressed area is much thinner, you can see this in the second pic.

thanks for any input!

Name:  20140920_115908_zps1fa6a8f6.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  35.1 KB

Last edited by 9550; 09-20-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if it has roller rockers, and you wish to use stock covers, double up on both sides, use a can of "the right stuff" and glue them together with it, lay a set of books on top while drying, I have done it more than once for customers
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

One way to do this is to install valve cover spacers.

The metal things in the gasket help prevent the valve cover bolts from coming loose.

Gaskets with a metal core do this also but I would not stack those.

You can set the valve cover in place without a gasket and just 2 bolts partially installed then have someone turn the engine over and if the rockers hit you will feel it. If they do hit and actually lift the valve cover at all then one gasket will most likely not be enough. you should also be able to see the cover lift slightly if there is much interference.

Aluminum spacers around $100.00

Last edited by barnett468; 09-20-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

Yikes.thanks guys.I pot the covers I with the gaskets and hand crammed it all the way around twice and didn't notice any moisture that sounded like a rocker hitting the cover. I'm guessing with the engine running they might come up a little higher though?
Typically I would wait to hear responses from you guys, but this time I thought it was safe to move along.damn. I gotta undo this all now?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:54 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

dont risk hitting! guy did that for a reason... the metal disks are for compression, nicer gaskets have them in a circle around where the bolt goes to avoid compressing it. I would
do what above member mentioned but be sure to use some sort of adhesive gasket maker to put them together just a few dabs. or Buy some cheap valve cover gaskets or some cheap ebay "machined" tall valve covers ive always had great luck with those!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
Yikes.thanks guys.I put the covers on with the gaskets and hand cranked it all the way around twice and didn't notice any noises that sounded like a rocker hitting the cover. I'm guessing with the engine running they might come up a little higher though?
Typically I would wait to hear responses from you guys, but this time I thought it was safe to move along.damn. I gotta undo this all now?
was a little drunk typing this on my phone last night. sorry for typos.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 9550
Yikes.thanks guys.I pot the covers I with the gaskets and hand crammed it all the way around twice and didn't notice any moisture that sounded like a rocker hitting the cover. I'm guessing with the engine running they might come up a little higher though?
don't waste your money on spacers, totally unecessary for the little amount of clearance needed, double up on the gasket as I stated.......with spacers you run the risk of raising the valve cover to interfere with intake then you could need a spacer for that = chain reaction
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
don't waste your money on spacers, totally unecessary for the little amount of clearance needed, double up on the gasket as I stated.......with spacers you run the risk of raising the valve cover to interfere with intake then you could need a spacer for that = chain reaction
i picked up a pair of gaskets from autozone. they were about half as thick as the ones i already had, so probably perfect.
thanks all
Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

run fox covers. from a 90-93 car with the stepped look on the outside. remove the baffles and grind a small spot for the bolt on the alternator to clear.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
run fox covers. from a 90-93 car with the stepped look on the outside. remove the baffles and grind a small spot for the bolt on the alternator to clear.
I used a button head bolt on the alternator.

Quick Reply: valve cover gasket questions (with pics!)