5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

no blinkers or hazards

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 PM
FourEyed5Oh

Default no blinkers or hazards

Whats up everyone? Trying to get in the right direction testing my blinkers here. Its a 86 mustang lx 5.0. My blinkers or hazards wont work. They worked when i got the car but the brake lights didnt. I had 2 lose wires in the back i hooked up and the brakes began to work but the blinkers or hazards did not anymore. Replaced flasher and fuse still nothing. Disconnected the brake light wire nothing. Also the indicators on the dash do not work. Is there a way to test the switch that the blinkers and hazards run through thats just behind the steering wheel? I figured this was the only common thing they had so that might be it. But i did notice it looks my wipers are on it and they do work. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:23 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

When you say "2 loose wires", were they unplugged/cut from a brake light socket/ bulb ? I'd start by looking at that socket for a short somewhere. Is this a new car to you, sounds like the PO investigated to that point then just unplugged it instead of fixing.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:32 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I can tell you that its common for the multi function switch to lose 1 or more of the functions individualy. Sometimes its the wipers that go , and sometimes its the flashers. However in almost all cases that the switch is bad, the hazard button still functions. So if the hazards wont come on when that button is pressed the problem likely lies else where.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Check the bulbs. My brother's 91 had no left turn signal and it was because the LF bulb was blown. Replaced it and it started working again.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM
FourEyed5Oh

Default update

Ok cool. Thanks guys. Heres a update I further investigated the rear tail lights/blinker assembly. They appear to be from a 87 which im guessing where all the hacked wiring came from. The loose wires i spoke of traced up to the hatch brake light. One is black one is orange they end right around the rear speaker area. The other lose wire was just long enough to connect them all together. When connected my taillights (running lights) work as brake lights.
So if you look a the back of the vehicle as if you were following me the two outermost lights are my taillights and brake lights. The reverse lights are in the inside closest to the liscense plate and they dont work, in guessing the middle is supposed to be my blinkers. One has a corroded bulb stuck in this. Ima try and get it out and hope its shorting out the circut so nothing works like i said the indicators on the dash do nothing, no blinker clicks and no hazards at all. A easy fix would be nice.
Also the car is newer to be but i belive the owner disconnected the brake lights cause the light on the warning module kept lighting up. He used it as a drag car.
Thanks again