5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How much steering freeplay is too much on a 92 Fox 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:56 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Default How much steering freeplay is too much on a 92 Fox 5.0?

67k miles. New to me. I have what seems to be about 2-3 inches of free play. I had it out on a narrow windy country road yesterday and it seemed like just a wee bit too much free play.

This is my first Mustang, so y'all tell me.

Is this characteristic of this vehicle in general?

The power steeing fluid is pretty black and I'm having it changed tomorrow when I get the tires rotated.

Is this adjustable, if I have too much free play, or would I just need a new rack?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:01 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yeah, that sounds like WAY to much slop in the steering lol. My car has no noticeable play, I'd investigate to see if its in the rack or steering shaft.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:21 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

When I have my son move the steering wheel back and forth in the "slop zone" with the engine off and with it running, I get the same slop. I see two U joints in the steering shaft. I don't see any visual slop in those when moving the steering wheel back and forth in "slop zone. So the steering shaft is turning, but not moving the wheels on the ground until you get to either "end" of the "slop zone".

Would this indicate a rack issue, or am I missing anything else?

I have some competent guys who service my cars and it'll be on the lift for a tire rotation tomorrow, although I'll hold off changing the PS fluid till I determine if the rack will be getting changed out.

Last edited by oldfella; 09-29-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Check the tie rods. These cars are bad for having inner tie rod issues. Also you can unbolt the shaft and check it for play. The stock shaft has a rag joint that can get sloppy over time.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at these things with my guys tomorrow while it's on the lift.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

I don't know if this means anything but I can reach under the hood and twist the steering shaft back and forth with one hand. The steering wheel is turning back and forth a couple of inches with me in unison while I do that, but everything else is stationary.

Last edited by oldfella; 09-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:52 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Just got the Fox of the rack at my favorite shop and the slop is in the inner tie rods.

They suggested just changing the whole rack and be done with it. That's pricey if I let them do it.

I may just purchase some new tie rods and boots and change those myself in hopes the rack isn't leaking inside the boots. Car only has 67k miles.

The PS fluid is very dark so I'd have my guys flush that out and line it up after I'm done.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If the rack checks good, and it should with those miles, then I'd just have them do the inner tie rods. That car must of been a handful on a narrow road lol.

I'd still double check that rag joint on the shaft like Boss said above. Even with bad rod ends, that seems like a lot of play.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 10-01-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
If the rack checks good, and it should with those miles, then I'd just have them do the inner tie rods. That car must of been a handful on a narrow road lol.

I'd still double check that rag joint on the shaft like Boss said above. Even with bad rod ends, that seems like a lot of play.
There was no visible play in the rag joint.

The rack might be fine, but I won't know for sure that there's no leaks till I get those boots off, and if I tear them up in the process, then I'm committed.

I am wondering if the easiest thing to do would be to just drop the whole assembly at the outter tie rods, remove the two bolts to the rack, then just unhook my hydraulic lines.

Bolt the new assembly in place. I can get the whole thing reman at Mustangs Unlimited for $250, including bushings, although I may use offset bushings to correct my steering geometry for this lowered little pony.

Last edited by oldfella; 10-01-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

rockauto has racks for about half that price...and if you go to retailmenot.com you can get a 5% discount code on top of that...

with that said i got rid of the power steering in my fox best mod ever no more pumps leaking, whining. manual rack ftw

Quick Reply: How much steering freeplay is too much on a 92 Fox 5.0?