5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting an Engine Build from stock 302 block

Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 PM
jessupmustang302

Alright, and I looked at a boss 302 block. Would this be able to hold a 331 stoker kit with the kenne bell additive? It is the ford racing boss 302 block. Like I said, I am really wanting to complete this project, I have had this car since I was 16 years old and this is a dream of mine to complete. I want to do it right and complete it the correct way the first time lol. This will be a weekend driver for me and to car shows. Also, how much difference is there between the boss and the stock block as well?? I am really wanting to keep the "original" size of the 302 engine, whether its the actual original or not, so if this is possible, any more advice would be great. If not then, what would be my best option for a close second to get close to the desired hp amount, with respectable power for my application? Thanks again
Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Op keep your compression where it is, no need for low compression on low boost engines and yes 9 lbs is low boost........I've done a fair amount of boosted motors for people lately as well as set ups........heck, my own is 9.5 to 1, runs 12-14 lbs and is non-intercooled and lays down close to 600 at the rear wheels......don't waste your money on hodge podge boost retards.........timing needs to be taken and added in the schalar tables at certain points and rpms to keep responsiveness.......a boost retard ignition does it in a progressive nature, while it'll work to an extent, it's a bandaid. Been there done that and disabled mine in favor of "proper tuning" via schalar table tuning. you want to use your stock block, use main studs on the bottom end......don't waste money on a girdle or steel caps, valley girdles ect ect..lol, it does nothing for the problem the 302 roller block suffers from, add main studs to the heads and get some tfs 170 fac heads........rebuild your bottom end with some probe rods and pistons an mahle rings. For a cam if custom is your thing, FTI and none less, or a decent boost cam is the f-cam, while old school it works well with boost. with 9lbs, you should easily be at/over 400 rwhp with said set up and if you wanna get a little aggressive on the timing, add a meth kit on the cheap and get 40-50 more rwhp.....done this plenty ......build it like stated and let it rip, no bottom end or top end power will suffer.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by jessupmustang302
Alright, and I looked at a boss 302 block. Would this be able to hold a 331 stoker kit with the kenne bell additive? It is the ford racing boss 302 block. Like I said, I am really wanting to complete this project, I have had this car since I was 16 years old and this is a dream of mine to complete. I want to do it right and complete it the correct way the first time lol. This will be a weekend driver for me and to car shows. Also, how much difference is there between the boss and the stock block as well?? I am really wanting to keep the "original" size of the 302 engine, whether its the actual original or not, so if this is possible, any more advice would be great. If not then, what would be my best option for a close second to get close to the desired hp amount, with respectable power for my application? Thanks again
for your hp goal a stock block will be fine and no need to stroke it at that.....also steer clear of the boss block.....piston skirts are way to short to accept 331/347 pistons without pulling them 1/2 inch below skirt walls...iirc there is only one piston that is acceptable to do such in said block.....you want an aftermarket block.....dart is your best choice.........and I would use a different s/c on a dart block that has more hp potential.........if KB is your choice, stay with the stock block, as I stated above, mine is close to 600 rwhp on a stock block and yes it has been run at the track and yes it has the above combo or close to it as I state above.......tune is key for reliability, not using hodge podge devices to bandaid it for improper attemps at trying to guess at tune........bottm line is when your build is done, run it over to a dyno to be tuned or so you can tune it on one if you have a aftermarket tuner or plan too. In the last few months two s/c set ups I've DONE for people, one was at 406 rwhp and another at 395, all stock blocks all 302's and 8-10 lbs of boost and both were gt-40 heads and simple cams and intakes and both tuned properly. I'll be doing another soon for another guy. All easy 400 rwhp set ups

Last edited by mjr46; 10-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:17 PM
jessupmustang302

alright and this all sounds perfect! Thank you for your help. I have a few questions if ya dont mind.... You say there is no need for a stroker kit (331), but how much stress will this put on the block if i ran this with the kb? also, if purchasing the rods and pistons above, their is a stroker kit offered with these available, but are you referring as to buy them separate and not the kit? and what is the best amount of boost to look into for this application with 170 tfs heads and the rest stated? finally, well unless i think of something else haha, what aftermarket tuner would you recommend to buy if wanting to have one on hand at home? thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 PM
jessupmustang302

and also, for a flowzilla set up from kb, it requires a gt40 intake, will this lower intake fit or bolt right to the stock 302 block?
Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

alright and this all sounds perfect! Thank you for your help. I have a few questions if ya dont mind.... You say there is no need for a stroker kit (331), but how much stress will this put on the block if i ran this with the kb? also, if purchasing the rods and pistons above, their is a stroker kit offered with these available, but are you referring as to buy them separate and not the kit? and what is the best amount of boost to look into for this application with 170 tfs heads and the rest stated? finally, well unless i think of something else haha, what aftermarket tuner would you recommend to buy if wanting to have one on hand at home? thanks
331/347 all the same......no real stress, the key factor is if you're adding boost and stroking all in a stock block keep the boost lower......however if you decide to go with a stroker in a stock block, know about what the compression will be as most strokers depending on the head used will easily be in the 10-10.5 range with flat top piston........a little much for boost, so piston choice will be more key for a boosted stroker. Meaning dish choice of the piston......which is why staying stock stroke/302 may be an easier choice as flat top piston will be fine for low boost.....which I deem under 15 psi also not sure what cc the tfs 170 come in? 64cc? would have to look it up but around 64cc will be fine.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

and also, for a flowzilla set up from kb, it requires a gt40 intake, will this lower intake fit or bolt right to the stock 302 block?
yup..and pm 64bit on here for tuning.......he does the moats quarterhorse for stand alones and is good with them
Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 PM
jessupmustang302

alright thanks, and if i have anymore questions ill let you know asap, thanks for your help again. its greatly appreciated!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:41 PM
jessupmustang302

ohhh and what about the gt40 lower intake thing i stated above? what do you know about this and the bolt up of it to the stock 302 block?
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ohhh and what about the gt40 lower intake thing i stated above? what do you know about this and the bolt up of it to the stock 302 block?
gt-40 lower will bolt up fine to stock 302 block just fine, had a cobra/gt-40 lower on mine for a while that was heavily ported.....sold it and bought an rpm 2. don't ask why..lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting an Engine Build from stock 302 block