5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting an Engine Build from stock 302 block

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:55 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
gt-40 lower will bolt up fine to stock 302 block just fine, had a cobra/gt-40 lower on mine for a while that was heavily ported.....sold it and bought an rpm 2. don't ask why..lol
Temporary insanity...embrace the crazy but not at the expense of car parts.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:57 PM
jessupmustang302

haha alright thanks again
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
Temporary insanity...embrace the crazy but not at the expense of car parts.
lol..not really, at the time I was having an idle issue and the gt-40 lower was ported massively to the max to the point that the sealing surface between the ports was paper thin and I thought I had an internal vac leak.......problem turned out to be in the tune...later corrected the issue and no more concern......the eddy 2 also matched up better to my eddy rpm heads and had better port transition.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jessupmustang302
Alright, and I looked at a boss 302 block. It is the ford racing boss 302 block. Would this be able to hold a 331 stoker kit with the kenne bell additive?
heck yeah!, that sucker will take 1,000 hp. it is way overkill for your app but a killer piece. if you use that then i would go for the gold hp wise. the mahle pistons are a good match for that block due to the shortened skirts on the block. the dart sportsman block is also great. i don't know the difference in skirt length between the two or if there even is any. i never measured the dart block but visually the length looks similar.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dart/301/31364...40#moreDetails

Also, how much difference is there between the boss and the stock block as well??
day and night

I am really wanting to keep the "original" size of the 302 engine, whether its the actual original or not, so if this is possible, any more advice would be great.
well as i mentioned, the 9 lbs of boost will get you to your 400 hp goal with the right components, however, 12 lbs is way more fun. the more boost you have, the hotter the air gets going into the engine so the purpose of an intercooler is to cool it to reduce detonation/pre ignition potential.

If not then, what would be my best option for a close second to get close to the desired hp amount, with respectable power for my application?
centrifugal super charger, a novi is quiet, a vortex is obnoxiously loud, or nitrous. or just a carb and a big cam etc..

here's part of the deal, you should decide if you want:

mild, moderate or nasty idle.

good bottom end, or a 7,000 rpm screamer with no bottom end or inbetween.

freeway flier, lite to lite drag car or inbetween.

the power adders allow you to have a mild idle and killer mid and top but you give up a little bottom end because of them. the least trade off is with the kenne bell.

if i'm running a charger, i'm happy to give up a little bottom end because if i want to go fast, i will be above 3500 rpm anyway which is around where they kick in depending upon how they are set up.

to get strong bottom end but still tun a lot of boost you need to increase engine size.

if you want a quick, simple, easy, cheap solution, and only want the extra power once every few times you drive it, i would go with the nitrous.

also, 9 lbs is not "low" boost. most production cars that i know of with boost are limited to around 6, and its barely noticeable when it comes on. i like to run 12 lbs. anymore than that is certainly even more fun but kinda nuts on a car street car that is frequently driven imo.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-12-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

for your hp goal a stock block will be fine and no need to stroke it at that.....also steer clear of the boss block.....piston skirts are way to short to accept 331/347 pistons without pulling them 1/2 inch below skirt walls...iirc there is only one piston that is acceptable to do such in said block.....you want an aftermarket block.....dart is your best choice.........and I would use a different s/c on a dart block that has more hp potential.........if KB is your choice, stay with the stock block, as I stated above, mine is close to 600 rwhp on a stock block and yes it has been run at the track and yes it has the above combo or close to it as I state above.......tune is key for reliability, not using hodge podge devices to bandaid it for improper attemps at trying to guess at tune........bottm line is when your build is done, run it over to a dyno to be tuned or so you can tune it on one if you have a aftermarket tuner or plan too. In the last few months two s/c set ups I've DONE for people, one was at 406 rwhp and another at 395, all stock blocks all 302's and 8-10 lbs of boost and both were gt-40 heads and simple cams and intakes and both tuned properly. I'll be doing another soon for another guy. All easy 400 rwhp set ups
I like this advice. For the power level the OP is shooting for (400ish) there is no need for an aftermarket block. A good flowing intake, heads and a cam set up for boost should make for a very fun car.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by barnett468
, 9 lbs is not "low" boost. .

horseshyt, 9 lbs is low boost and to anyone in the real world and to anyone who has made real hp with boost. step up into the real world of 20+ lbs where real hp is made If you consider 9lbs moderate or high boost, you haven't made hp or have no clue how to make hp safely over such.....and 9 vs 12 lbs isn't a ton more to shake a stick at.......been there done that plenty.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:04 AM
jessupmustang302

Alright, ( mjr46 ) I have contiuned looking at parts and if not running the stroker kit, where can i find the Probe rods and pistons for my stock block, as well as the mahle rings?? where on the internet can i find these? and thanks everyone else for the great info!! so would 9-12lbs be a good range of boost to run??
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 AM
jessupmustang302

and what lb injectors does anyone recommend? I figured 39, but wasnt 100% sure
Old 10-12-2014, 11:14 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Alright, ( mjr46 ) I have contiuned looking at parts and if not running the stroker kit, where can i find the Probe rods and pistons for my stock block, as well as the mahle rings?? where on the internet can i find these? and thanks everyone else for the great info!! so would 9-12lbs be a good range of boost to run??
summit has just about everything.

as far as how much boost you "should" run, i mentioned how much you could use to reach your goal of 400 which was 9. at this point, i suggest you simply call the people that make the unit and ask for their opinion. also, ask their opinion on running 20 lbs of boost and see what they say.

in addition to that, if you still aren't satisfied with what they say, i suggest you sign up on yellowbullet.com which is one of the biggest drag racing forums in the world where the likes of chris straub and joe sherman often visit and ask for their opinion. keep in mind, these guys are the farthest thing from conservative. just be specific and realistic about your wants and see what they say, although i already know pretty much what they will say.

obviously you are getting two different opinions here regarding boost, however, there is in fact a big difference between 6, 9. 12 and 20 boost, its just simple math, plus i have run all of these so i know the difference.

also, you did not answer any of my questions which makes it difficult for me and some others to give you advice that would best suit your particular wants. like i said, production cars run around 6. 12 is twice as much as 6.

heres some real world facts to give you an idea. A stock 93 cobra will dyno around 230 hp and 275 tq at the wheels at sea level. You lose power as your elevation increases. The car below is a 93 cobra and it produced 348 hp at 5500 and 392 tq at 4000 with a measly 7 lbs of boost from a kenne bell and it had full smog and accessories, plus pos gt40 heads, and 9.0 static compression. also, at 6000 ft elevation, the car below performed as if it had slightly less than 8.0 static compression. thats a 118 hp and 117 tq increase which is around a 50% increase. try and guess how much it would make with 20 boost providing it didn't start spitting pistons and rods through the side of the block.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-12-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

horseshyt, 9 lbs is low boost and to anyone in the real world and to anyone who has made real hp with boost. step up into the real world of 20+ lbs where real hp is made If you consider 9lbs moderate or high boost, you haven't made hp or have no clue how to make hp safely over such.....and 9 vs 12 lbs isn't a ton more to shake a stick at.......been there done that plenty.
I know a guy pushing 30 PSI through a 351w stroked and bored to 428. that's high boost. anyone who thinks 9 psi is high needs to realize all ProCharger kits are setup for over 9 PSI from the box.

Quick Reply: Starting an Engine Build from stock 302 block