5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Broken AODE to T5 swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

Default Broken AODE to T5 swap in progress

I finally pulled the trigger on this and the AODE helped me make up my mind.

I only have 1st, second, and reverse. Had to drive it home from work that way.

I spent a couple of weeks gathering parts and I finally got the project started. It's a nice weekend to work too. Pedals are in but things are going slower than I expected. I'm just hoping I can get it done in 2 days.

I have no pics yet but I'll post some next post.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

best decision you'll ever make in my opinion. You will be happy you did it.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

Here's where I'm at so far.

My leaky AODE.

I turn the flexplate til the socket hits the block plate then I can unscrew the nut without the whole shebang turning on me.

More leaky stuff.

Starter is out. What a drag that was.

Last edited by mbeer; 10-24-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Ahhh, memorys lol. If the pedals are in, that's great. That's the hardest part. Careful when dropping the AODE, they're a lot heavier than the T5. Good luck.

And dawsons right, you'll be smiling ear to ear when it's done. By far the best thing I've done to my car. Congrats on doing it.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ahhhh, working in the driveway.......brings back memories of my college days.......never again....lol
Old 10-26-2014, 12:09 AM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
ahhhh, working in the driveway.......brings back memories of my college days.......never again....lol
Yea, I'm gettin too old for this crap. Up, down, up, down, blah, blah, blah.
Two of us getting the AODE up on the trailer was a struggle. They are very heavy for us old guys.

I guess my baby just shed some serious poundage. Between that and putting more H.P. to the wheels instead of the slush box sucking it up, I'll be a happy camper.

Here sits the leaky AODE on the trailer for scrap...unless someone wants the core to rebuild. It wasn't the seal leaking it was the pan gasket, hmmm.

I found another pan gasket leaking too. Bummer. How can I get the oil pan out? Seems like I'll have to lift the engine. Is this everyone else s experience as well? I guess that's why the PO did such a crappy job on it last time.

Here is the platform I put together so I wouldn't have to rent a transmission jack. It worked very well.

It sure feels good to have that out but it feels like I'll be working on it a little longer than I planned to with fixing the leaky oil pan and all, and yes I'll replace the rear main seal while I can get to it. I guess I'll have to jack up the motor to get the pan out. I also gotta figure out what to do about the wiring that I don't have with the t5.

That's all for now

Last edited by mbeer; 10-26-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

I think this was the worst decision I ever made. I'm thoroughly pissed about the rain today and the fact that I couldn't get the oil pump back in place workin in the rain.

I rented a cherry picker. Jacked up the engine on the right side because there is no lifting eye and lifted the left side.
Name:  cherrypickerandjack_zpsa25fe4e9.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  98.2 KB

I did get the pan out.
Name:  Oilpanout_zps1f2450a8.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  119.0 KB
Scraped the old gasket off and put on a new one. A one piece.

This would explain the leak. This piece is well deteriorated. The excess RTV tells me that the person who did the job last was a noob. I put the new gasket on dry like the directions say.
Name:  rearpangasketuse_zps781c3c16.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  120.0 KB

So as of right now I'm held up by the oil pump. Oh, BTW, I did buy a new pump because I don't EVER want to pull an oil pan again unless the engine is out of the car.

More to come...
Anyone got dynamite ??
Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It will be all worth it when your done.

Just take your time and do 1 step at a time. Usually if Im fighting something and it starts raining I wait till the next day, generally things go better after a fresh start.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

rtv needs to be in the corners of the humps
Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Great job so far, thanks for the updates and pic's. It reminds me of why I'm done modding my car lol. Good luck on the final steps.

Also, I thought in the gasket directions they call for a dab of rtv in the corners like mjr said. Hope it's not to late.

Quick Reply: Broken AODE to T5 swap in progress