5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Which Edelbrock intake for a 87 5.0 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:44 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Edelbrock intake for a 87 5.0 engine?

I am putting a stock 1987 5.0 Mustang engine into my 67 Mustang coupe. A basic stock motor as the car is just going to be a weekend cruiser. I am also going to put an EFI throttle body (like Atomic EFI, FAST EFI, or maybe even the Edelbrock offering) I have the Atomic EFI on my 67 fastback and absolutely prefer it over a carb.

I am assuming someone here has switched over to a 4 barrel intake with carb, and can provide some feedback based on their experience.

I am confused as to which Edelbrock manifold to use.

The Edelbrock #2121 (Performer 289) was my first choice, which is non-EGR, and was just recommended by their tech line for my application. NO EGR is going to be used.

The Edelbrock #3721 (Performer 302) came into play, because the 2121 seems to not have water passages in the back of the intake, to match up with the water passages on the stock heads of the 87 5.0. (at the back of the motor)

In the attached picture, you can see exactly what I'm referring to regarding the missing water passages on the 2121. (the 2121 is on top) I mentioned this to the tech, and he said he has never heard of a problem bolting the 2121 on a 302. Obviously, if I bolt this onto the 87 5.0, the rear water passages are going to be blocked.

So...am I missing something here?? It would seem to me that I need to use the 3721 and just plug the EGR ports on the intake.

Please let me know.....thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Which Edelbrock intake for a 87 5.0 engine?-edelbrock-2121-on-top-and-3721-on-the-bottom.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Seams like a no brainer to me. Go with the exact part for the application. (part # 3721) but I also believe that the other intake will work fine also.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

I f you remove the smog pump won't you also need to plug the holes in the heads?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
I f you remove the smog pump won't you also need to plug the holes in the heads?
Yes. I have stripped everything down to a "long bock". The holes in the back of the heads are plugged, etc. I will be running it as if it were a 289/302 from the 60s/70s Mustangs.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan
Yes. I have stripped everything down to a "long bock". The holes in the back of the heads are plugged, etc. I will be running it as if it were a 289/302 from the 60s/70s Mustangs.
use the 2121 then . . the 3721 has ports in the rear water passage for sensors that you do not need . . do not worry about not having the rear water channel.

if you need a carb and are on a budget i would buy one of these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qf...-vsf/overview/

this has annular boosters which will provide better mpg.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...00vs/overview/

Last edited by barnett468; 10-30-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by barnett468
u

read post number 1 he has no intention of down grading to a carb.......he will be using efi with a carb intake with an efi tb above.......however if it were me I'd have the ports tapped for individual injectors for each runner so as to have equal a/f mixture to each cyl.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:36 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

The eddy 2121 will likely have an air leak if you use a carburetor or an efi with anything other than a 3310 base. This means that you will need a spacer/adapter if you use a system that does not have this style base. You won't know what base an EFI has until you turn it upside down and look at it.

Phenolic spacers are solid on both sides so they will work, the aluminum ones rarely, if ever, are solid.

It is not a good idea to run a pcv directly into the runners on the intake. If you need a spacer with a pcv port that will also adapt a non 3310 carb base, you can use he Boss 302 or Shelby one, they are around 5/16" thick. The pcv fitting goes to the front on the boss and the Shelby one goes to the rear.

Boss 302

Shelby

Aftermarket

Last edited by barnett468; 10-30-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

use the 2121 then . . the 3721 has ports in the rear water passage for sensors that you do not need . . do not worry about not having the rear water channel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qf...-vsf/overview/

this has annular boosters which will provide better mpg.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...00vs/overview/

Thanks for the information! I am going to use an aftermarket EFI like MSD's Atomic EFI (which is what I have on my 67 fastback), or FAST EFI, Holley Terminator, Edelbrock's EFI throttle body, etc.. Yes, I know they are expensive, but having experience with the Atomic, I absolutely prefer them over a carb. (my personal preference!)

Your response (and the earlier one) is exactly why I posted my original question to the forum.

The block and heads I have in hand, a stock 87 5.0, have water passages on the back end of each cylinder head. If I use the Performer 289 which does not have water passages to match the heads, I would assume the water would either sit there and create a "hot spot" due to non-circulating water, or, overheat the engine, if that particular water passage way is part of the overall water flow design of the cylinder heads. I honestly do not know what the flow path of the water is through the heads, through the intake, in the overall design. That is exactly why I think (or thought) I may be missing something, as blocking them with the Performer 289 intake just seems like I am bolting on a problem. As opposed to just installing some screw in plugs to accommodate the non-EGR setup I will be running.

If someone has a diagram showing the water flow through the cylinder heads and intake of an 87 Mustang 5.0 engine, I would love to see it. Maybe it would answer my concern specifically.

Thanks again to everyone contributing to the discussions.....that's what forums are for.....bouncing ideas and knowledge off each other.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:05 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

no prob, you're welcome.

it will not overheat if you use the 2121 . . the water passages are exactly the same in all those engines, however, if it will make you sleep better than simply use the other one . . it gives you the extra water fittings if you need them for an electric fan t stat or something . . just keep in mind that the rear passage will run slightly cooler than the front so you need to check the temp with an infra red so you can buy the right fan temp sender if you use one there.

are you using a reverse rotation pump?

FYI - The fast efi is chinese and there is little to no tech support for them unless that has changed recently.

heres a 66 289 with both water passages, one of which is blocked by the factory intake.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-30-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

no prob, you're welcome.

it will not overheat if you use the 2121 . . the water passages are exactly the same in all those engines, however, if it will make you sleep better than simply use the other one . . it gives you the extra water fittings if you need them for an electric fan t stat or something . . just keep in mind that the rear passage will run slightly cooler than the front so you need to check the temp with an infra red so you can buy the right fan temp sender if you use one there.

are you using a reverse rotation pump?

FYI - The fast efi is chinese and there is little to no tech support for them unless that has changed recently.

heres a 66 289 with both water passages, one of which is blocked by the factory intake.

I will be using the stock 87 5.0 water pump for now. I will be using a product offered by Ron Morris performance to cross over the lower hose to my stock radiator. http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/05spec/

Thanks for the FAST info as well. I was not aware. Like I said, I have the Atomic EFI in my 67 fastback. The only thing I do not like about it is the ability to service the unit in the "field". Not too long after installing it, I had an issue, and had to send the entire throttle body back to them for repair. They sent a replacement unit express delivery as I voiced my opinion about designing something that had to be removed and sent back to the factory for service. Thank god it isn't my daily driver. (my message to them) Since then, the replacement unit has performed without any issues. I haven't made up my mind yet, by I would like a unit I can repair in the "field", but alternatively, if I am troubleshooting a "non-daily driver", I can swap parts from the fastback to the coupe to troubleshoot the problem, if I buy another Atomic EFI unit. Still thinking about it..... )