5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1990 Lx 5.0 AOD no OD and weak reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Bennyc

Exclamation 1990 Lx 5.0 AOD no OD and weak reverse

Hey every one im having the worst time trying to figure this out with out having to rebuild this tranny ,

I have a 1990 LX 5.0 hatch back that is having the following problem:\

when driving the car it wont shift into 3rd gear/ overdrive ( its automatic)
and also when in reverse its slipping a bit.

at first it looked like the tv was disconnected from where it supposed to be so I fixed it but it still did the same thing.

I also checked the tranny fluid and the level was fine it also didnt smell burned.
so if any one can give me some good ideas or trouble shooting I would really appreciate it , thanks !
Attached Thumbnails 1990 Lx 5.0 AOD no OD and weak reverse-image1.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 05:06 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

od band is a weak spot on aod's.....multiple tsb's and probs with such.....if tv cable is spot on and prndl switch detent is adjusted properly.........it's rebuild time.........you could try pulling the valve body down and make sure a valve isn't hung up bot with 1-3 fine and prone od failures on these i often find the od band burnt up
Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 AM
Bennyc

Thank you so much for replying , this may be a dumb to ask but what is the "prndl switch detent "

Also would an od band also affect reverse,

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Bennyc

Okay, so I just read something that is telling me I adjusted the tv wrong. Please tell me if this is the correct way . I didn't do it this way

1. Lift tab up to unlock adjustment assembly.
2. Have someone floorboard the accelerator pedal from inside the vehicle.
While the pedal is floored, push on the throttle body arm to make sure it's bottomed against its stop (wide open). (Adjust throttle cable, if necessary).
3. While the throttle is floorboarded, lock the tab on TV adjuster.
4. Make scratch with hacksaw blade or knife up tight against the adjustment assembly. This is the MAX TV mark.
5. Unlock the tab and slide housing towards bare cable 5/16" and lock tab. You can use a 5/16" bolt as a gauge. Make another mark up tight against adjustment assembly. This is the MIN TV mark.
6. Make another mark midway between MAX and MIN. This is MID-mark.
7. Adjust to MID-mark CI and road test.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

<<<@!1!@>>>if you feel you did it wrong, here is a vid to help:
Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

That does look very familiar, but it's been a couple years since I had an AOD.

When I first bought my car, the TV cable wasn't even connected. I drove it home this way, maybe 20 miles. Very erratic/firm shifts. Being this was my first Foxbody, I researched the problem and reconnected the cable, adjusted per that list you have, or very similar, I can't remember. Night and day difference. But I never experienced any slip in any gear, it would not go into OD with the cable disconnected, but all other gears worked, just shift points were off.

Long story short, if it's slipping, your usually rebuilding.

The only odd thing is you said fluid was clean and had no odor, should have had a burnt odor if bands were burnt up. Unless someone flushed it to try and save it as a last resort.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Bennyc

That maybe true about someone flushing the fluid and replacing it but I'm going to do next is pull off the pan and check the valve body for any pieces of metal but either way hopefully

I can convince my buddy to help me take it off and inspect all the clutches and then I'll just have to buy rebuild kit
Old 10-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Bennyc

okay finally got some results my reverse is back and tranny is shifting one through second very smooth what I did was have someone open the throttle 100% and then I pulled the black rail on the TV cable all the way out which beforeI wasn't doing that I was instead pulling that little metal tab that has at the end

So now that is really on correct I still don't feel an overdrive but my question is at what miles per hour does that kick in. Unfortunately the car's registration and smog is still pending so I am limited to how much I can road test but either way thanks for everyone's input
Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Bennyc

Originally Posted by mjr46
<<<@!1!@>>>if you feel you did it wrong, here is a vid to help:
Ford AOD TV cable adjustment - YouTube
I saw this video and according to another reference that throttlebody needed to be open 100% and then be adjusted
Old 11-02-2014, 12:06 AM
purple mustang

Bet you its rebuild time. when cable isn't hooked up, AODs don't last very long.........Ive pulled a lot of them out......

Quick Reply: 1990 Lx 5.0 AOD no OD and weak reverse