5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Uneven ride height after spring job

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 PM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Default Uneven ride height after spring job

Hey guys, the car is in storage now. But I've got to figure this out for next summer. I installed a set of Ford Racing F springs into my 92 this summer. The job was a nightmare. No compressors fit on the front and it was very difficult to get them in with the insulators. But now me and my friends have noticed the car sits lower on the left than the right, especially with me in it (200 lbs or so). The left looks great, but the right looks maybe even higher than stock. After a month of driving it has not leveled out. I did not notice the car doing this before the new springs.

This is what is there:
All 8 insulators are in and are correctly centered
The rear pig tails are facing the rear as they should
The front pig tails are in the A arm pig tail slots (over the insulator sleeve)

The previous springs were stiff and were very high in the back and low in the front, don't know why. And the insulators were destroyed. Don't know if relevant. Thanks guys
Old 11-09-2014, 05:52 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

First thing I'd do is verify that you have the same springs on all four corners. Sometimes thinks get mixed up at the factory. The springs should all be marked.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 AM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

3 years later, finally have this solved. For anyone who stumbles across this thread with the same problem, this is what I found. Yes, all springs were the same. Turns out the driver side being lower than passenger is a very common issue. I learned that if you are going to make adjustments, it is the front springs you should do it to because that is where the car is the heaviest, so the rear will simply follow.

First I tried to remove the front passenger upper insulator. This did not go well, since the rear was still high, it just made the car dip steeply to that corner. The car had a bad rake to it and it looked dumb and the ride was significantly rougher.

Next, I installed one front spring spacer from Steeda for the front driver spring (after reinstalling the right insulator). It is meant to go in both front springs to raise the front ride height on heavier cobra cars or something. But I found if you use one, it can even the right height out nice. I placed it under the existing insulator and also bent the spring perches metal tabs in slightly on the K-member to assure the spring was still centered. Now the car maybe looks just slightly higher on the driver side but I bet that with a driver it will look perfect. SO much better than it looked before. I always got comments from random people about "what's up with the lean?" and now that's gone! Anyways here is the part, it was super cheap but took a whole month to receive it: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-997-0163.html
Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

never had that issue...but then again I have adjustable front coilovers...lol
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear green, thanks for the info and the update.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:34 PM
wgreenlee4
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
never had that issue...but then again I have adjustable front coilovers...lol
Ugh!!! You sound just like my roommate! He did coil-overs and always made fun of me for my lack of adjustability XD I'll admit it was tempting, but I was frustrated that so many people on the internet were having the same issue with the standard lowering springs and there were no solutions!