5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Please help me with my 306 guys....Just please

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Default Please help me with my 306 guys....Just please

Ok so here goes...I have a 94Gt now. Yellow vert. Mods are as follows.
Dss 306- O ringed
Not sure on pistons but it was said to be 11:1 compression so I asume domed?
Edelbrock heads (worked) it has valve springs good for .600 lift
Edelbrock upper and lower intake ported
Lame *** trick flow stage 1 cam
24lb injectors/65mm tb and I believe a stock maf tuned for the injectors
sct chip
pro motion 5 spd trans with stage 3 clutch
full exhaust, shorty headers, h pipe w/o cats
afer market filter running into the fender well
zex dry 150 shot at dyno nowI run a 100 jet because it's the correct jet so says the tunner who is no retard. He's a guru Mustang tuner who knows his business.

I didn't build this car. I bought it. This is what I know of. I have 0 idea if it makes 11:1. Might only make 10:5 or so....I don't know a whole lot about the mechanics but I've learned a lot over the years. I'vehad 7 stangs ect...The guy who did the work is pretty damn good at what he does. My questions are these. I took the car to have it tuned and only made 276hp I believe at the wheels and 365ftlbs of torque. On a 150 shot made 395hp and 475 ftlbs. He said the cam was my issue. The Trick Flow stage 1 cam lifted to .499 I believe and where I have enough lift to go bigger, should I? And if so with what? Also should I be running bigger injectors? And is there a better Maf/tb combo that will help with my situation? I have a proflow housing but it's calibrated for 75mm and 30lb injectors. If I want a cam that's going to be streetable but at the same time make more power. I was really hoping for 320-ish off the bottle. Any ideas would help. Not to sure why anyone would build a high compression 306? I mean all you can do is shoot nos off and that gets boring and expensive. Why O-ring the motor? I thought you did that when you were planing on running boost? I here you can't run boost or a s/c with 11:1 compression is this true? Also should I worry about running 91 octane with such high compression? Just a lot I don't understand and need some advice on... A. How to make more power. B. can I run a turbo or a s/c at low boost levels? C. What cam is best for street and power? D. what MAF/TB should I use? Like I said it is tuned and runs great but I want more power without nos. I guess I'm just not a nos fan. I'm hoping you guys say hell no run a s/c and you'll be fine or say strap a turbo on that girl she'll love it but....What can I do here. Feel like I'm stuck. Hell I know guys with fox body's on a h/c/i swap alone all from a explorer making at least 300whp! Is the cam really that bad? I don't mind re-tuning it if I have to. I'll bring it right back to the dyno if you guys give me some good mod ideas. I'm getting ready to do something. If I can't make more power this motor's coming out and I'll build a 390 or some sort of stroker with less compression so I can make hp without having to fill a damn bottle every 10 seconds. Hell might even go back to a stock 302 with h/c/i from a damn Explorer!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Also do you guys like the fog lights in the by the horse in the grill area? I think I'm the first person to ever do it and everyone loves it! I also located my hash marks high instead of over the tire which everyone seems to like. The lights are hid's and work amazing. Provide amazing help with driving visibility. Expensive but awesome!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

gotta find out if you have flat top or dome pistons.........run the cyl down to BDC and put a borescope in there if you can get access to one
Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mjr46
gotta find out if you have flat top or dome pistons.........run the cyl down to BDC and put a borescope in there if you can get access to one
I talked to the builder today who gave me some more details.
Edelbrock performer heads ported. 202/160 valve with I believe he wrote 55cc chambers 1.7 rockers and -3cc flat top pistons but he said the pistons have one sided valves. Or something like that. Thanks for the reply by the way. Any help I can get is awesome. Like most, I need more power! He also said call andersons with this info and they'll build me a nice cam, that won't sacrifice my street able use too much. It's hard, I want to go big but at the same time, I want to drive it everyday. The stage 3 clutch already makes street driving not so fun. I wonder what type of numbers I'll put down with a bigger cam? I'd hope over 300whp? Again thanks a lot for the help!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

I really feel like I'm kind of stranded. I'm forever going to be hooked to the botle if I want to yield big numbers. I'm 100% not being rude by asking this but why does the pistons matter domed or not? I just don't know the reason so I'm asking. Do you also feel that bigger injectors are needed? I thought I read a while back in a thread by and engineer that I should perhaps be running 30lb injectors because the 24's are at the max, but not sure. Will that help and then maybe get a bigger maf (not sure what size) and throttle body? Ughhh! One thing I do know, is that chrome rims are in my future. I had a 95Gt last year with the dished 03-04 cobras and they looked amazing but American Muscle only makes them in 17's and I have 18's with nice BFG's on them so kind of want to stay 18. Probably go with Saleen rims but prefer dished of some sort.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

with the compression you're limited to mostly nitrous, unless you swap to a dished piston then boost will be your friend, you can crack the 300 mark with what you have and if you're gonna go as far as to swap cams, you'll need to swap springs and then might as well check how much the intake has been opened up, if it's a mild port, may wanna go more and make port transition smooth and if you still have that elbow adapter on the cai for sn-95 intake adaptions, do away with it and convert to a fox set up and decent cai.....for cam email ed at www.flowtechinduction.com tell him your issue and what you want, he won't steer you wrong on the cam and if the intake needs reworking, send it to TOM MOSS he can be found over on the corral.net under the name tmoss, pm him and he'll port the intake the way it needs to be, upper and lower. after it's all done, you may not need the 1.7 rockers, ed will tell you if you need to downsize to 1.6's with the cam he grinds. then with the combo change, retune
Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
with the compression you're limited to mostly nitrous, unless you swap to a dished piston then boost will be your friend, you can crack the 300 mark with what you have and if you're gonna go as far as to swap cams, you'll need to swap springs and then might as well check how much the intake has been opened up, if it's a mild port, may wanna go more and make port transition smooth and if you still have that elbow adapter on the cai for sn-95 intake adaptions, do away with it and convert to a fox set up and decent cai.....for cam email ed at www.flowtechinduction.com tell him your issue and what you want, he won't steer you wrong on the cam and if the intake needs reworking, send it to TOM MOSS he can be found over on the corral.net under the name tmoss, pm him and he'll port the intake the way it needs to be, upper and lower. after it's all done, you may not need the 1.7 rockers, ed will tell you if you need to downsize to 1.6's with the cam he grinds. then with the combo change, retune
Thank you so much! The springs I have are good for a .600 lift. The Trick Flow Stage 1 cam only lifted to .499 or around there. So I have a lot of room to play with wen it comes to springs. I think they're alex's srings if I remember correctly? I think it's already converted to a fox set up. It sports a 65mm tb and a nice cold air intake. Im wondering if I should go bigger with alll that as well. I guess I dont understand how maf, tb work ect....I would think that the 65mm would be small? But I just don't know. I will email ed at flowtech and see what he says. Either way I guess it's back to the dyno. Good informationon the pistons maybe in the spring I can do the swap. I just don't get why people would build this set up? Isn't a O-Ringed motor meant for boost? Just seems like a high compression motor makes it a lot harder not only on the wallet but on the car to make power. Thanks again man.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

heavy **** alex springs, meaning weight wise and lift is not a criteria one should go by to rate a spring....it's more about the lobe profile and what the cam "need" aggresive lobes vs lazy and ramp rates all play a factor...you want a light weight but yet strong spring..........lsx spring packages give the best of both worlds...talk to ed about them
Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

get a custom grind cam from Ed Curtis, have him supply you with a spring package to match. then you should have someone install them for you. Spring installs are not just a drop and go affair.

Also, where did you go for your tune? Performance Dyno? The last customer I had who went there, had an absolutely horrid tune... I cleaned it up for him and remapped more than half of the tune file. The car picked up almost 50 hp at the wheels.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I've heard of Ed Curtis many times and I think that's the route I'm going. I also ordered a snow performance level 3 meth kit. So if my calculations are correct and I run low boost levels I should be fine. I've been doing a lot of research on meth/inj and it should allow me to at least feel safe on pump gas even if I don't go with sc or turbo. But if I do I should be able to run low levels especially where my block's not stock. Now my next concern will be my pro motion trans thats only good for 450hp and it's still virtually a t5 so I'd say 350hp is pushing it. Also I haven't really got any ideas on what I should do as far as MAF/Throttle body ect...I need i fo from tb to cai what should my set up be there. As of now the maf is only good for 19lb injectors but the tune i guess set it for 24lb injectors. I really think I want bigger injectors and I know before I buy them I need to know which route I'm going. Sorry for any typo's I'm on my HTC One. Thanks again. I'm using all this information. So when I call Ed or anyone I have an idea of what I need.

Quick Reply: Please help me with my 306 guys....Just please