5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What should I replace?

Old 12-11-2014, 01:44 PM
CarrieS

Default What should I replace?

I have a '93 LX 5.0 convertible, daily driver, all stock. I'll be replacing a broken timing chain cover this weekend. I plan to preemptively replace the functioning water pump and thermostat as well.

Are there any other parts you would recommend replacing preemptively? This is a big job for me, and I don't relish the idea of working my way down so deep into the fray any time soon.

I plan to put in a timing chain cover from Late Model Restoration, and the water pump and thermostat are generic ones from O'Reilly.

Finally, I've long had a power steering fluid leak. That was a project for the future, but is there anything I might do now for that project while I have things stripped down?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Depending on the miles I would replace the timing chain itself. Chains can actually stretch over time
Old 12-12-2014, 07:31 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Congrats on doing this yourself. You'll have a better appreciation for your car when your done. My only advice is make sure all gasket surfaces are clean. No left over gasket material or old RTV. It really sucks getting everything buttoned back up only to see a small leak after startup. Good luck, and don't be affraid to ask any questions if your stuck on something.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
CarrieS

Default Re-assembly question

1. I'm replacing the timing chain and sprockets. The amount of play in the new set it about the same as that in the old, but I guess new doesn't hurt here at 130,000 miles.

2. At the beginning of the project, during the first steps of disassembly, I unbolted a big flat plate bracket from underneath the A/C compressor. Then I unbolted a small "bar" bracket attached to the back bottom of the compressor. Then, while I was unbolting two through-bolts from the top of the compressor, a bushing fell to the ground. A picture of it is attached. It's about 1 inch tall and 1 inch in diameter.

Now that I've started re-assembly, I'm worried because I don't know where this bushing goes.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails What should I replace?-bushingsmall.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 12:27 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CarrieS
1. I'm replacing the timing chain and sprockets. The amount of play in the new set it about the same as that in the old, but I guess new doesn't hurt here at 130,000 miles.

2. At the beginning of the project, during the first steps of disassembly, I unbolted a big flat plate bracket from underneath the A/C compressor. Then I unbolted a small "bar" bracket attached to the back bottom of the compressor. Then, while I was unbolting two through-bolts from the top of the compressor, a bushing fell to the ground. A picture of it is attached. It's about 1 inch tall and 1 inch in diameter.

Now that I've started re-assembly, I'm worried because I don't know where this bushing goes.

Any ideas?
Check between the AC bracket and plate or engine block. I guarantee the bottom bolt went through it.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM
CarrieS

I put the bushing between the power steering pump and the engine block. Front of car to back, it went head of long bolt, flat plate bracket under A/C compressor, front hole in power steering pump housing, back hole in power steering pump housing, bushing, engine block. It made sense for three reasons: (1) the size of the bushing matched the empty space, (2) it made sense in terms of the step in dis-assembly at which it fell out, and (3) 84CopperGT's directions. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:28 PM
CarrieS

I finished the re-assembly today. Everything appears to function, and there appear to be no leaks. That was quite a job that often had me frustrated, but I feel immense satisfaction in having seen it through to the end. I feel that if I can do that project and not mess up the engine, I can do any job I want to on this car!

Having you guys on this forum as a resource helped give me the confidence to move forward. No matter how bad I got, I figured you could help me back to where I needed to be. Thank you so very much!

I'll tune in again soon to discuss my next project.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:26 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

No problem. I remember my uncle bitching about AC bolt spacers on the 5.0s all the time.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Congrats on seeing it through. It really isn't that hard to do basic repairs. Ambition, common sense, and patience and the ability to turn a wrench and you can fix anything.

All right, maybe not anything, but enough lol.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Congrats on seeing it through. It really isn't that hard to do basic repairs. Ambition, common sense, and patience and the ability to turn a wrench and you can fix anything.

All right, maybe not anything, but enough lol.
And a good repair manual. My buddy rebuilt an engine that still runs a few year ago and he has no mechanical knowledge at all except for what he read in the Haynes manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I replace?