5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hey guys. Transmission help please. and smog question

Old 12-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Bennyc

Default hey guys. Transmission help please. and smog question

So it's been a long and painful (worth it) journey to getting my 1990 lx on the road.

finally it runs like a champ but I'm having to deal with the transmission not going into od, today I finally got it on the road ( because I was on my way to smog it) and the tranny of course still didnt go into od, well it did but slipped like crazy as if I put it into neutral.

Ive come to face the fact that I'm going to either

A: need a new tranny

or

B: rebuild my current one

although I am very mechanically inclined I know that attempting rebuild like this is out of my skill set .

but I do have a few mechanic friends that are willing to help me only if I have everything all set for them to go.

Meaning I need to have the right rebuild kit, what exactly do I need?
and how to I know what tranny I have ? the car seemed to only have 3 gears. c3 ? aod?

Also can I just get the transmission off a gt and bolt it on ?

and my final question, can the car pass smog with out that od ?

thanks in advance guys my best regards, Ben

Old 12-18-2014, 03:15 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I don't care how mechanically inclined your friends are. If they are not REAL mechanics don't even attempt this. I'm a real good shade tree mechanic and tried my luck with an AOD automatic once. Your welcome to the parts. I can't get it back together.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Love your honesty blue lol, and I feel the same way. I've read that the AOD isn't a hard automatic to rebuild, BUT it's still an automatic and something I don't know enough about to try and tackle that.

But that's one way to learn about them I guess.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but I'd leave the rebuild to a good shop.

Or a T5 swap is an option, round up the parts, start on a Fri. night and by Sat. night you'll be running through the gears with a great big smile on your face.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If it were a T5 I would say heck yea go for it, I taught my self how to rebuild them.

But I never fiddled with an automatic before, Before my dad passed away he could have rebuilt it in his sleep, I seen him rebuild one on the side of the rode once as a kid.

But before you give up the trans or take the plunge to pull it out and have it rebuilt, check to be sure your TV cable is set correctly and is attached at both ends and nothing is broken .

The car should pass smog even if OD isn't functioning , since I don't believe they road test it , it just sets there hooked up to a machine.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Two things I don't dink with on any car...Transmission tear down or differential teardown.

Sure, I'll do clutches and torque converters all day long and replace a pinion seal, or rear end swap, but that's it. Oh and I'm fixing to do a valve body rebuild and solenoid pack replacement on my cars 5r55s tranny. That's just an R&R job.

Unless you have either the money to burn if you fug up and need to go out and buy a remaned unit on top of the money you spent trying to DIY or you have someone that KNOWS what they are doing, I wouldn't bother. It's very time consuming and requires some specialty tools along with the hands on knowledge. Books are fine but hands on experience will beat book smarts any day.

here's a usefule thread...
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...overdrive.html

Points to the TV cable (as dawson mentioned) or linkage as a possible cause...

Last edited by Derf00; 12-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.