5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what is this thing?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Default what is this thing?!?!?

hey all
trying to get my 95 back to tip top shape.
this thing was installed a long time ago, i believe it was installed to control the cooling fan. at the time, i had a supercharger installed. it is wired into the wires that run along the passenger seat, and wires coming out of it go into the ford component that is under the passenger seat. (i dont know what it is). in the pics you can see the blue and orange wire come from the front of the car and are routed into my mystery component. black, green, red, and white wires come out of my mystery component and into the ford box under the seat. in the photo, i put tape on the wires.
are the orange and blue wires stock and were originally supposed to go to that ford component under the seat? or perhaps the orange and blue wires were added with the mystery component? the orange and blue wires seem to be original from the way they look in the wiring bundle that runs along the passenger side door toward the front.
the dial on the left goes up to 1 if i turn it, so seems it can be set from 0 to 199.
the dial on the right goes past 1, and i turned it past 3 and it was still going.
in this photo, it appears to be set at about 130 on the left, and 190 on the right (guessing that those numbers indicate temperature)
there are no markings on the box at all to indicate manufacturer. i may take it apart and see if theres anything inside.

i asked about this a while ago with no luck, but want to try again and maybe some fresh eyes will know what it is.

i really want to figure out how to uninstall it.
thanks in advance for any input

Old 12-21-2014, 06:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if it's an alternate fan controller, I'd think it'd go to the ccrm and not the ecm like it looks like it's wired to?? either way, trace wire harness and disconnect and any wires that were cut, reconnect them
Old 12-21-2014, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
if it's an alternate fan controller, I'd think it'd go to the ccrm and not the ecm like it looks like it's wired to?? either way, trace wire harness and disconnect and any wires that were cut, reconnect them
that would be some type of plan i suppose if nobody knows wtf this thing is.
i dont see any wires at this end that have been altered, so if anything, the alteration came upstream at some panel as you suggest.

if the orange and blue are stock wires, shouldnt i be able to find where they are supposed to land on the box under the seat?
if the orange and blue wires are aftermarket, and the green,black,white,red from the mystery box are wired into where the stock green,black,white,red would go, then i dont see where the stock green,black,white,red were disconnected yet
Old 12-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Obviously you younger guys don't recognize the manual backup controls for a "Flux Capacitor"! (See Mall Parking lot on Azusa Ave. in Hacienda Heights, CA in 1985!)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

It is really old school, looks like a couple of 10 turn potentiometers and who knows what else is inside.
I doubt it has any real function for the car, but if you just cut the wires you might lose power to something. Do any of the three LEDs light up? Home made shift lights maybe? Do you have time to open it up and post a pic of the inside?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

With out knowing what the wires are tapped into, my best guess is its a DIY decade resistor box. It could be used for anything including tricking the PCM into thinking a sensor is there, to changing the resistance of sensors such as the IAT ECT etc etc.

The dials are there to set the amount of resistance while hooking up a mulimeter to read the changes.

It could be used for all kinds of different things, you just need to trace the wires to what they are connected too.

Oh and do not under any circumstances change the dials settings untill you know exactly what its hooked too. Ive seen similar boxes used with the old GM VATS security keys to get proper resistance to the computer so as to by pass the resistor in the key pellet.

Oh and 1 more thing, that box in the picture is the PCM and its not supposed to be under the seat, it should be in the passenger side kick panel.

They may have done some screwy stuff to your car who know. It looks to me to be a home made Chinese tuner lol .

Last edited by dawson1112; 12-22-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

With out knowing what the wires are tapped into, my best guess is its a DIY decade resistor box. It could be used for anything including tricking the PCM into thinking a sensor is there, to changing the resistance of sensors such as the IAT ECT etc etc.
The dials are there to set the amount of resistance while hooking up a mulimeter to read the changes.
It could be used for all kinds of different things, you just need to trace the wires to what they are connected too.
Oh and do not under any circumstances change the dials settings untill you know exactly what its hooked too. Ive seen similar boxes used with the old GM VATS security keys to get proper resistance to the computer so as to by pass the resistor in the key pellet.
Hmmmm, if so, I take back what I said about not having a real function!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

wow, thanks for the replies guys.
so, as far as changing the settings, they have been changed for sure. i have no idea of what they were set at originally. i think at some point the yellow light did come on, and it might be my brain tricking me, but i think it came on when the fan kicked into high gear or something. i realize i keep going back to it being related to the fan, im probably way off. sorry about that.
so this pcm thing should be in the kick panel area? that would explain why i dont see any splicing or wire ends at the pcm or related to the mystery box yet. also when i was looking into pcm, i thought i saw it was in the panel as well, but for a different model year.
i will take some more pics today and also get the mystery box open and take some pics in there. there is another ford component taped to the top of my pcm under the seat. maybe it will be a clue to wtf is going on here.
thanks again guys! i feel like im getting somewhere now at least
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok, i tried to take the mystery box apart, but the cover started cracking. for me to get the cover off, i would have to break the cover and probably in little pieces. i didnt want to do that in case there is some real value to the parts once i take them off. what i found out afterwards makes me think i wont need to open it anyway.

so this first pic is whats under my seat. "A" appears to be some type of MAP sensor. you can see the part number in the 4th pic (e7ef-9f479-a2a). where would this normally go? it appears that all the wiring i am seeing is to relocate the PCM to under the seat and also to add the mystery box, so im guessing this MAP sensor thing would get wires into the stock harness at the same pins its wired to right now? C is the wiring to the mystery box

more text at end of pics collection...

pics 2,3,4 are just marking and numbers i found on the PCM and the apparent MAP sensor

5,6,7 just show the wiring route. D has ford marking on it, so i assume stock.

E is the mystery wiring

mystery wiring goes into G

everything else look normal here?

so, it appears the mystery box came with a wiring harness used to relocate the PCM, yes? i should be able to remove the mystery harness, and take the PCM and put it back where it belongs and thus remove the mystery potentiometer box from the equation?

of course, if somebody comes along and can identify wtf this thing is and its worth keeping installed, i may consider leaving it in.

if anybody is trying to help figure this out, remember at some point there was a supercharger on the car and an ignition control module thing (boost retard?) that came with the vortech kit. the mystery box would have been installed by the same guy either all in one shot, or relatively around the same time, so i think the mystery box was installed either to compliment the supercharger addition, or to cure a problem that arose due to the supercharger install. the mystery box was not installed prior to the supercharger install.

sorry the pics are a little big

thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by 9550; 12-22-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:53 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Looks like someone did an A9L conversion to it. The A9l was from 87-93. Most likely done because the SN-95 PCMs were a bit finicky about tuning.

Quick Reply: what is this thing?!?!?