5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Boost Controller

Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Noahcummings

Default Boost Controller

Once i have a turbo installed on my car i will buy a boost controller installed on it. If I do not know my current boost on the turbo, once the controller is installed will it tell me the boost level the turbo is set too? or is the boost controller preset to 0psi? And I can change my boost up or down to my desired amount and get it tuned?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

you set the lowest boost with the wastegate spring then adj. the controller to move it up and down to the set spring pressure.so lets say you have a 7psi. spring you turn it up with the control or back down to 7 with it. That is the way mine is but it is a manual controller. But backpressuer can play a lot with settings and how well it works. At lease it does with my crude set up.LOL But a higher dollar one will be better and it also come into what controller you use there are some out there that cost big money and use C02 to regulator the boost pressure. I know how much boost I am making with a boost gauge in the dash. That or I can also log it with my EPEC tuning system which is real nice when you dont have time to look at the gauge
Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Your really going to want a boost gauge and an air/fuel ratio gauge for DIY tuning. As well as some type of fuel management system. But a simple answer is if you buy a manual boost controller with a guage attached it'll show boost pressure at the controller. More expensive digital ones can show boost pressure inside the car as your driving.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 01-13-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Noahcummings

Originally Posted by uedlose
you set the lowest boost with the wastegate spring then adj. the controller to move it up and down to the set spring pressure.so lets say you have a 7psi. spring you turn it up with the control or back down to 7 with it. That is the way mine is but it is a manual controller. But backpressuer can play a lot with settings and how well it works. At lease it does with my crude set up.LOL But a higher dollar one will be better and it also come into what controller you use there are some out there that cost big money and use C02 to regulator the boost pressure. I know how much boost I am making with a boost gauge in the dash. That or I can also log it with my EPEC tuning system which is real nice when you dont have time to look at the gauge
So if I wanted to run more boost I would have to get a bigger spring right?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noahcummings
So if I wanted to run more boost I would have to get a bigger spring right?
Nope, unless you have high back pressure issues then it will start to push open the gate. I ran a 7psi. spring and could see 15+. I now run a 15 psi spring that lets me see right around 12 but if I turn it up I can run it off the gauge which is over 22 psi. It gets pretty fast when I turn it way up LOL feels like a different car. I run the vac line from the turbo then hooked to the bottom of the gate. then I y off that line run it to the controller then run the line from the controller back on top of the gate when it make boost it puts pressure back on top of the gate pushing it back shut. That lets it make more boost. I use a paint gun air regulator for a controller. LOL cheap easy and works.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Noahcummings

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Your really going to want a boost gauge and an air/fuel ratio gauge for DIY tuning. As well as some type of fuel management system. But a simple answer is if you buy a manual boost controller with a guage attached it'll show boost pressure at the controller. More expensive digital ones can show boost pressure inside the car as your driving.
is it true you can run 2psi of boost but not over 4psi with the stock ecu? just wondering if i could run the turbo low untill tuned.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

you can run low boost numbers and not hurt the car. You just won't be able to romp on it til your tuned.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noahcummings
is it true you can run 2psi of boost but not over 4psi with the stock ecu? just wondering if i could run the turbo low untill tuned.
LOL I ran 11 at the intake for years with no more of a tune then what I could do with a timing light and a DVM meter and a mass air curved for 42# injectors. NO ECM tune at all. When it was S/C it is now turbo.
I have a customer/ friend that is doing the same thing on his engine also. GT 40 P head e cam ported Cobra intake 14 psi pulley on the S/C 11 psi. at the intake it loses 3 psi. due to the intercooler the car was running 7.0-6.9 in the 1/8 mile in a full weight Mustang. it lasted 3 years and now has a bad shake and low oil pressure. I have not pulled it apart but I think he split the block. I will tell you he ran the living **** out of the car all the time. Would it of run better with a tune I can only think yes. Would it have lasted longer with a tune really I dont think so. I think he is on the outer limits of what the stock stuff will take, But it is a S/C car not a turbo car.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
LOL I ran 11 at the intake for years with no more of a tune then what I could do with a timing light and a DVM meter and a mass air curved for 42# injectors. NO ECM tune at all. When it was S/C it is now turbo.
I have a customer/ friend that is doing the same thing on his engine also. GT 40 P head e cam ported Cobra intake 14 psi pulley on the S/C 11 psi. at the intake it loses 3 psi. due to the intercooler the car was running 7.0-6.9 in the 1/8 mile in a full weight Mustang. it lasted 3 years and now has a bad shake and low oil pressure. I have not pulled it apart but I think he split the block. I will tell you he ran the living **** out of the car all the time. Would it of run better with a tune I can only think yes. Would it have lasted longer with a tune really I dont think so. I think he is on the outer limits of what the stock stuff will take, But it is a S/C car not a turbo car.
LOL while all of this is true. We can all agree that tuning the car is the way to go. When I was doing the Turbo neons a lot of kids would slap a big turbo on and tune with an A/F guage and a mega squirt. Low boost was considered 10 PSI to most of us. I was running 26psi when the little 4 banger was hitting mid 11s and trapping 122 without traction. And that was on a tiny little TD05 Turbo

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 01-22-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

LOL I hear you and 10psi. is low boost for a 4cly. we were running the 122+ mph range also but pulling more weight.

Last edited by uedlose; 01-22-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost Controller