5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

newbie...please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

And where exactly did the OP say he smells "gas"?

All he wrote was that it "smells like and runs rich"
Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Who knows what he is actually smelling. It's hard to figure that out over the internet. I would assume that since he does not know what he is doing when he says "the car runs rich and at first start sounds like it has a cam upgrade, then smooths out but still smells like and runs rich," I would assume it's either a gasoline or some other fume smell. Usually when people who say "rich" they mean gasoline, but of course that is an assumption until you get more information which we all need. It is probably dumb to assume gasoline, but I never said that was what he was smelling. I said based off those mods you should not be smelling gasoline or running rich. That's why I told him to run more test, so we can try to guide him in the right direction instead of making blind suggestions like most people do. Who knows what is actually done to his car. His charcoal canister could be unplugged and now with the off road set up now he can smell the effects more. He could have a vacuum leak, a hole in his gas tank, his car needs a tune, he farted, or who the hell knows until we have more info?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 AM
speedfreak86

When I said that it smells rich I was stating that I can smell the exhaust fumes of the car really well. As I explained in my first post I am new to the mustang world and performance world of gasoline vehicles. Obviously my nose isn't a air/fuel meter but it was the closest thing I could come up with on explaining what i was smelling. The car has a performance exhaust system with no cats and still has O2 sensors. fender style cold air intake with stock MAF And underdrive pulley kit. I didn't notice the fumes until the upgrades. Basically I was asking if this is normal or if my car had an issue.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:06 AM
speedfreak86

This weekend I am installing a BBK throttle body and EGR plate kit. Will I need to get a tune or will it be fine. Not sure since the car is not OBDll.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

You're fine. We all had to learn, and don't worry if everybody has their own methods of going about problems. Unfortunately, in the car world everybody is going to have their own opinion, some people will be correct and some people will be like the guys you find at Advanced Auto Parts........just stay away. It's easy to misinterpret what people mean in writing, so when you said rich we don't actually know what you mean. All we know is the information you give us and the interpretation is up to us and our own individual experiences to come up with a possible solution. It is ultimately up to you to decide who is right or wrong. With the off road exhaust, you will smell more fumes, but it should not surge or anything like that. It may be a little louder at higher rpms, but it's been so long since I've had a stock exhaust that I couldn't tell you how much of a difference it would make.

As the for the throttle body, be sure you get new throttle body studs and nuts. ARP is the best way to go, but any other replacement should be fine. Any bolt that comes into contact with coolant has a tendency to weaken and break over time. Just be sure to find new hardware so you do not have problems in the future. You should also not need a tune for a throttle body, but you will have to recalibrate your TPS sensor and do a base idle reset. BBK TB's also have a tendency to whistle, so this could either be from sharp edges (smooth them out) or your base idle is too low. I hope we have been helpful, and if you have any problems, let us know.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:51 AM
speedfreak86

Thanks a lot. All comments have been helpful. I am excited to ba a part of the mustang world.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedfreak86
This weekend I am installing a BBK throttle body and EGR plate kit. Will I need to get a tune or will it be fine. Not sure since the car is not OBDll.
No tune needed, the stock computer is quit adaptive to a point. With the mods in my Sig, I've never needed a tune.