5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

newbie...please help

Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM
speedfreak86

Default newbie...please help

I just purchased a 1989 GT 5.0 that was completely stock and installed a BBK cold air intake, "H" pipe exhaust system and underdrive pulley kit. The car runs rich and at first start sounds like it has a cam upgrade, then smooths out but still smells like and runs rich. Any suggestions or fixes is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedfreak86
"H" pipe exhaust system
Sounds like you have no catalytic converters. The previous owner probably didn't re-install the O2 sensors, or they are no good.

You have a few options.

#1. ...live with it
#2. check to see if you have O2 sensors, replace them regardless. Might be wise to install a new ECT sensor, and clean your MAF
#3. reinstall all of the factory smog equipment, and test/replace any sensor related to the EFI.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 AM
speedfreak86

The car has O2 sensors, and the smog pump is hooked up still. I read somewhere that the MAF sensor needs to be recalibrated for the cold air intake and exhaust? Plus I just purchased a BBK 70MM throttle body and EGR plate.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

KOEO/KOER check for codes

Maf does not need to be calibrated unless you upgrade to larger fuel injectors.
New throttle body will require base idle reset/relearn.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I agree with dawson. Check for codes, learn how to do a check your TPS (throttle body positioning sensor) voltage check, do a base idle reset (which means you will most likely have to play with the idle set screw, this is normal), don't listen to whomever told you you need to recalibrate your MAF for putting in a cold air intake, and check for vacuum leaks while your at it. With those mods you should not be smelling gas or running rich. Something else is going on.

By the way, get rid of the smog pump unless your in a state that has emission testing. That was the first thing I did to my car when I first got it. I live in Florida, so we do not have emission testing.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:09 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
With those mods you should not be smelling gas or running rich.
aside from the fact that he probably is cat-less....
Old 01-28-2015, 07:37 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

So am I, and mine does not smell like gas. You may smell more fumes, but you should not be running rich because you have an off road set up.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
speedfreak86

Thanks a lot guys. I will try all options today after work. I also live in Florida so no emission testing. I will post outcome. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
So am I, and mine does not smell like gas. You may smell more fumes, but you should not be running rich because you have an off road set up.
Do you have any idea how many people had told me that my car was running rich, just by the way it smells? It's a matter of ignorance. Even showing people that my wideband was sitting around 15.6:1 at idle, they would still say it smells rich.

So yes, when someone says their car "smells rich" I laugh. Because nobody has a calibrated nose. The OP probably has no clue what his cars true AFR is.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I have an air fuel meter as well. At idle and coasting I run between 14.5-15.2. I'd say that's pretty damn perfect. Like I said, if the car smells like actual gas there is something else going on. If you put on an off road exhaust, unplug the charcoal canister, have dumps, etc etc. you will smell extra fumes, but it's not gasoline. I have an EGR delete, charcoal canister is gone, off road exhaust, blah blah blah it's smells a little funky, but not like gasoline.

No offence to the OP, but I'd say within reason since he is a self proclaimed "newbie" he does not know the difference either. He is going to have to go through what we all went through and learn this car by testing everything out. Worst case he finds a vacuum leak, figures out that his TPS is off, or what have you. It just seems weird that he mentioned that "at first start sounds like it has a cam upgrade, then smooths out but still smells like and runs rich." That to me sounds like there may be something else going on like a simple vacuum leak and the IAC is trying to accommodate it on start up, but I would have to see the car and go over what he did with it since he got it.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 01-28-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Search this Thread