5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1990 Mustang LX runs bad/stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Mwyatt23

Thanks for all the replys guys..Today,I got an interesting code....96 - Fuel Pump Circuit Open-Battery To PCM (CM,O). Could this be the issue with the car losing the pump if a circuit is open? Just putting it out there.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Mwyatt23
Thanks for all the replys guys..Today,I got an interesting code....96 - Fuel Pump Circuit Open-Battery To PCM (CM,O). Could this be the issue with the car losing the pump if a circuit is open? Just putting it out there.
could be...............
Old 02-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Mwyatt23

Any ideas on what is causing the code. I understand what the code mean but don't know where to start to troubleshoot the issue. Fuel pump, inertia switch, under the hood, pcm, etc...
Old 02-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Mwyatt23

Bought a timing light and made sure the car's timing was exactly correct. It was a little off but is set correctly in time now. Set the TPS to .98 volts. Car seems to be running fine but there's a little miss still obvious to me. There's an imtermediate backfire after a 3 grand rev. Rechecked the vacuum lines and there was 1 line with a small crack in it so I replaced it. Didnt seem to make a big difference though. Something is still off. ANd still don't know will the car shut off again or not. It haven't since I've been driving around the block for the last few days. Any suggestions???
Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Mwyatt23

Guys, not sure if this have anything to do with anything....but my car has an alarm system on it; with a kill switch. Just say this today but not sure about the timing of when this happened. when I disarm the system, my park and tail lights doesn't turn on anymore. But they work when I manually turn them on. Whats even stranger, the dash lights comes on when disarming the system, but when I crank the car, the dash lights goes out and won't work. Could my arlarm system be malfunctioning and cause electrical issues with the car? I ask becuase if the alarm is malfunctiong and the kill switch is activated, maybe the car will stall and not crank again. Just putting it out there
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Actually, maybe. Rip it out. My buddy's girlfriend had a similar issue a few years ago. What would happen is once her car warmed up, it would stall and not start until it cooled down. We tried everything, until somehow my buddy found a messed up ground on the alarm system. Ripped it out and the car ran perfect. I'll ask him more about the details later, but if you're not using it .........try it.

I personally think your issue is electrical. It could fit. I would love to actually see your car in person and look at all the electrical systems. I know I spent more than a few hours fixing all the rats nest in my car.

By the way, I give a awesome secret for an alternative alarm system. I just purchased a MSD 6AL box. With that box you can take the extra purple wire that you are not using, and hook it up to a kill switch and then a ground (this is all in the instructions by the way). So what I did at first is a hooked it up to a toggle switch and put it under my driver seat, and flipped it when I parked the car to kill the ignition. Then I realized screw that, so I purchased a headlight switch and pigtail from a GT, and hooked up the two wires to the fog light switch. Now every time I park the car, I flip the "fog light" switch, it kills the car. Looks factory and like nothing suspicious is going on. lol I love it. The ONLY problem is when you are driving at night and you want to turn your head lights on.......be sure to flip the right switch! lol It will immediately shut the car off. haha

Last edited by yurizx6r; 02-16-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Mwyatt23

Cold here in Tx so I'll take the alarm off when it warms up enough to mess with it. I'm going to replace the inertia switch also. Not sure if the button should move up and down at all but mine is like stuck in one place. Just replacing stuff as it comes to mind incase it can help correct the issue or rule out issues.